I wanna hold your beak.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am wondering if other people have birds who like having their beak held?

When I am petting Willow, he loves it if I hold his beak between my thumb and forefinger while I scratch his head with the other hand. I think part of it is that it steadies him as I pet him with my big clumsy fingers. Willow also likes me to rub his beak. So did Lucy. I think they were happiest with me holding the beak with one hand and scritching with the other.

I think that my fingernails are a beak substitute as Willow gets very into preening and snapping my nails. It actually hurts a little and makes a snapping noise. I usually take my hand away and he has to groom something else for a while.

Most of my birds have enjoyed grooming attention paid to their beaks. Not just Quakers. Jasper (Meyers parrot) likes his beak held, too. I think it mimics another bird preening them. It seems ok— I’m not having excess naughtiness or sexual behavior. What do you think?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
When I play with my Yellow nape I grab/hold his beak.
I have a routine with Bella my CAG. After I shower and am drying off I use the towel and grab/wipe dry her beak.
Is the closest thing I do with her as far as playing goes.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
yes mine love
Especially Penny and Ta-dah
20220129_154413.jpg

Last edited:

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Neither QP Ralph nor CAG Scooter like having their beaks held. I think if I tried that with Scooter, I could lose a finger or two. As many parrots do, they both enjoy beak rubs though.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Zenek likes too! I was curious if it was just to him, now I know that not only he 😅 Just with a difference that I hold the beak and pet him with one hand :) (yes, it is possible - my thumb and middle finger hold his beak and my forefinger pets him :) )

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Zenek likes too! I was curious if it was just to him, now I know that not only he 😅 Just with a difference that I hold the beak and pet him with one hand :) (yes, it is possible - my thumb and middle finger hold his beak and my forefinger pets him :) )
I do that sometimes, too. Takes coordination.

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
I am wondering if other people have birds who like having their beak held?

When I am petting Willow, he loves it if I hold his beak between my thumb and forefinger while I scratch his head with the other hand. I think part of it is that it steadies him as I pet him with my big clumsy fingers. Willow also likes me to rub his beak. So did Lucy. I think they were happiest with me holding the beak with one hand and scritching with the other.

I think that my fingernails are a beak substitute as Willow gets very into preening and snapping my nails. It actually hurts a little and makes a snapping noise. I usually take my hand away and he has to groom something else for a while.

Most of my birds have enjoyed grooming attention paid to their beaks. Not just Quakers. Jasper (Meyers parrot) likes his beak held, too. I think it mimics another bird preening them. It seems ok— I’m not having excess naughtiness or sexual behavior. What do you think?
My yna Myka seems to love it when I hold and/or scratch his beak, too. You are not alone!

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
We are having our afternoon session of head scritches and beak rubs, and an occasional kiss on the shiny little beak. It seems like I’m scratching the right place because he keeps yawning really big.

Seems like it must be nice to be a parrot. Willow is leaning into my hand as I pet him and now he’s licking me. He seems to really like the big loud smooches on his beak.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If it wasn’t obvious, “I wanna hold your beak” is one of the many Beatles songs I sing to my birds. Some of the phrases get changed more because it just sounds weird if you sing them with original lyrics to a bird.

Neither Willow nor Jasper is as enthusiastic a listener (and singer) as Lucy was, but we can’t all be the life of the party. I THINK Willow may be starting to “sing” along but I’m not sure. He’s making a weird noise anyhow.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
If it wasn’t obvious, “I wanna hold your beak” is one of the many Beatles songs I sing to my birds. Some of the phrases get changed more because it just sounds weird if you sing them with original lyrics to a bird.
Is it "I wanna hold your hand" but with the lyrics/name slightly changed? Because I never heard the song "I wanna hold your beak", and my dad is a big Beatles fan.
Neither Willow nor Jasper is as enthusiastic a listener (and singer) as Lucy was, but we can’t all be the life of the party. I THINK Willow may be starting to “sing” along but I’m not sure. He’s making a weird noise anyhow.
Maybe they're just vibing to the music without singing. I do that a lot.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Is it "I wanna hold your hand" but with the lyrics/name slightly changed? Because I never heard the song "I wanna hold your beak", and my dad is a big Beatles fan.

Maybe they're just vibing to the music without singing. I do that a lot.
Yes, it’s the Beatles song with lyrics changed a bit. There are lots of Beatles songs you can do that with. And lots of folk songs about “Willow.”

Lucy definitely sang along with me or the CD player, although she either sang “goo” or “doo”; or she used different words, like singing the Quaker song or singing about “good bird”. There’s a Beatles song about Lucy, too.🙃

Willow is starting to “goo goo” in the mornings. I wonder how I can let him know that this is good?

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
He d
Maybe you can reward him with some treats? Then he'll know that singing is good.
Willow does the “goo goo” type noises in the late morning when he is usually quite happy. I’m awake then and he can hear, if not see, me. Jasper is often whistling and chatting as well. When I’ve seen them, they look puffy and happy.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I Wanna Hold Your Beak

Oh, yeah, I'll tell you somethin'
I think you'll understand
When I say that somethin'
I want to hold your BEAK
I want to hold your BE E E E E-E -EAK
I want to hold your BEAK.

Oh, please, say to me
You'll let me be your BIRD
And please, say to me
You'll let me hold your BEAK
You'll let me hold your Be E E E E-E EAK
I want to hold your BEAK

And when I SCRITCH you
I feel happy inside
It's such a feelin' that my love
I can't hide
I can't hide
I can't hide

Yeah, you got that somethin'
When I say that somethin'
I want to hold your BEAK
I want to hold your BE E E E E-E EAK
I want to hold your BEAK

And when I SCRITCH you
I feel happy inside
It's such a feelin' that my love
I can't hide
I can't hide
I can't hide

Yeah, you got that somethin'
When I feel that somethin'
I want to hold your BEAK
I want to hold your BE E E E E-E EAK,
I want to hold your BEAK
I want to hold your BEAK, BEAK BEAK-BEAK BEAK!

There you go. Guitar tablature sold separately.

@PippTheBananaBirb

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Tonight we are enjoying the daily session of beak rubs. Willow is crunching my dry cuticles and likes to rest his beak on my beak.

Looks like he’s had enough pets for now. He’s moved away from my hand and fluffed up and is now having a good preen. His tail must be ok tonight because he’s grooming that, too, without signs of discomfort.

Oh no, now Willow is muttering (err, err) and looking for the petting hand. Back to work!

Most Reactions

Latest posts