I want to bond with my budgies but they are still afraid of me.

LuauMyBaby

Mar 5, 2021
I got my two budgies almost two years ago. One of them (Luau) knows several tricks and will fly to my hand and let me pet him slightly. He is always pinning me yet he still seems afraid when I reach my hand in to refil food or move somethin. I want to be able to bond with him outside of just using millet to teach tricks.

My other bird (Hula) is a completely different situation. She is not motivated by millet and she is very skittish. However, when I do reach my hand it or approach her she doesnā€™t seem to care. It is only when I get within a few inches she shows a little fear.

I have tried everything I can and nothing seems to work. Neither of them have had bad experiences or trauma and I got them from a pet store( I donā€™t know if that would change anything for bonding) I have had them for two years and we are very comfortable with each other. They are male and female and I know that means they probably bonded to each other but I have made an effort to keep them apart and they have never showed signs of bonding. Please help me to bond with my budgies.
I donā€™t know if this would mean anything but Luau is 2 1/5 years old and Hula is about 2 we think.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums

read these two threads thoroughly..
they should help a million
sorry it isnt a youtube link it logged me out for some reason..

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I got my two budgies almost two years ago. One of them (Luau) knows several tricks and will fly to my hand and let me pet him slightly. He is always pinning me yet he still seems afraid when I reach my hand in to refil food or move somethin. I want to be able to bond with him outside of just using millet to teach tricks.

My other bird (Hula) is a completely different situation. She is not motivated by millet and she is very skittish. However, when I do reach my hand it or approach her she doesnā€™t seem to care. It is only when I get within a few inches she shows a little fear.

I have tried everything I can and nothing seems to work. Neither of them have had bad experiences or trauma and I got them from a pet store( I donā€™t know if that would change anything for bonding) I have had them for two years and we are very comfortable with each other. They are male and female and I know that means they probably bonded to each other but I have made an effort to keep them apart and they have never showed signs of bonding. Please help me to bond with my budgies.
I donā€™t know if this would mean anything but Luau is 2 1/5 years old and Hula is about 2 we think.

Since, Luau still seems afraid when you reach your hand in to refil food or move something, I recommend talking to him more. Hula shows more fear and refused to eat while you watch. So she will need to be talked to in the same way too.

Smile while using short simple phrases repeatedly every day so that he can understand you and become more relax. Personally, I would say good morning Good morning several times every morning. Before opening the door, ask do you want to come out? Before reaching for that water bowl, ask do you want some water? If you see any sign of fear, tell them it is ok.

Smiling and talking will be very useful in building bond with them. The key is consistently smile, relax while looking at them with undivided attention and talk to them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts