I was looking into fostering with local rescue

Bebe'smom

Mar 3, 2022
Minnesnowta (Minnesota)
Parrots
A 15 year old cockatiel
I have or been owned by birds for 30+ years. I was thinking of fostering for local rescue until the last couple weeks.
The beginning of this story starts about a month ago. There are several rescues in my area. One of them I donated a bunch of cages to prior to my moving here, a retirement community. The other one has alot more programs to help with nutrition, behavior and such for parrot owners. I sent email to them volunteering to foster for a cockatiel size bird, as I live apartment, and larger louder bird may not appreciated. Their response was "we are not looking for fosters for smaller birds at this time." Ok, jump 3 weeks, I get another email from rescue "we would like vet you for fostering please fill out the below application and return it to these address. After downloading the application. I found several of questions rather intrusive, especially my financial business. How much do you make in month? In year? How much do you spent on your bird in a month? A year? Landlord questions such if you rent does your residence allow pets? And does your landlord know that you are possibly fostering for us? Are you willing to use your home as adoption site for this foster?
The financial stuff really threw me for loop. I have always provided the best for my birds food and health wise. They eat better then i do at times.
I have volunteered before in a veterinarian clinic that ran a small rescue for birds out of clinic. I chose not to renew my barter contract with them. I paid all of my previous vet bills off with interest by volunteering and earned money to pay any future vet bills. The owner's son who was fresh out of college basically rip me off with charging twice the normal cost for single visit. There is another story in this but it's for another time.
There was phone number that if I wish to discuss the application I could call hmmm long distance phone number that isn't local. Big red flag😑 to me.
Nope not going to do this.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have found as I have heard others also discuss some rescues do seem to really overboard. I'm sure its because of issues they've had in the past.

If you are fostering, in my mind the rescue takes care of any medical issues with their vet.

OP
B

Bebe'smom

Mar 3, 2022
Minnesnowta (Minnesota)
Parrots
A 15 year old cockatiel
Yes I pretty much knew that. Any of the birds that were at the clinic were taken care by avian vet there. Those of us that either volunteered to pay off vet bills or worked there with barter account after we paid off our vet bills saw the avian vet there also. The first avian vet there was ok but owner's son ripped several of us off. Then clinic closed suddenly. And was gone. It was very sad situation.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
O wanted to rescue / adopt a collie once. I proved I owned my home had fenced yard vet reference everything. I chose tge one I was interested in. They contacted me and told me it would be to much dog for me. I said I could provide reference from shelter I volunteered at where I worked with aggressive dogs. Nope they would chose which dog I got, and if I was rescuing collies I should be happy with which ever one they chose for me( ?!?!??) I couldn't meet the dogs. They would just bring the one they chose fir me, with out ever meeting me? This wasn't foster, but to adopt and keep forever as my dog.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bebe'smom

Mar 3, 2022
Minnesnowta (Minnesota)
Parrots
A 15 year old cockatiel
O wanted to rescue / adopt a collie once. I proved I owned my home had fenced yard vet reference everything. I chose tge one I was interested in. They contacted me and told me it would be to much dog for me. I said I could provide reference from shelter I volunteered at where I worked with aggressive dogs. Nope they would chose which dog I got, and if I was rescuing collies I should be happy with which ever one they chose for me( ?!?!??) I couldn't meet the dogs. They would just bring the one they chose fir me, with out ever meeting me? This wasn't foster, but to adopt and keep forever as my dog.
That is outrageous

Cottonoid

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I don't have much experience with the bird rescues/fosters in Minnesota, but I've had equally disheartening contacts with dog rescues here. Also with a background in veterinary medicine and a long, well-documented history of providing well for my pets. I feel like there's something I'm not quite "getting" about the process that isn't making me an obvious superstar candidate when on paper I'm exactly who *I* would want for a "troubled" dog.

I'm sorry, Bebe'smom! I *know* there have got to be a lot of birds in our area that could use a home like yours to foster in right now, with most of the rescues closed to the public. That's unfortunate :(

OP
B

Bebe'smom

Mar 3, 2022
Minnesnowta (Minnesota)
Parrots
A 15 year old cockatiel
The saddest thing is the fact almost of my birds have been rescues with tons of baggage that we have unpacked, worked thru and around and came to grips with. So I get how to work with troubled birds been there done that got the scars and T shirts to prove it. I guess I thought that fostering was about the love not the $$.$$.

Most Reactions

Latest posts