I watched my mothers Sun cheeked conure die

cinematiccloud

May 25, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds green cheek conures
I was bird sitting for my mother who has a pair of two Sun cheeked conures and today I stopped by to see that one of them was all curled up with its eyes closed. I FaceTimed my mother and it started to fall over and sneezing uncontrollably.

My mother asked me to pick her up and I picked her up and so I did and she was incredibly weak. I placed her onto the table all panicked a minute later, it starts trying to fly and fails and then fell off the table where she lied dead…

I tried reviving her but she fell stiff. I watched my mother in tears as she hung up, telling me to check on it and just wait for a few hours to make sure she was truly dead and not just unconscious. I sat on the floor crying as I saw a line of clear fluid on the floor from where it fell to where I picked her up. My partner had to come to the house and calm me down and bury her for me.

Afterwards, we couldn’t find her partner anywhere. It took hours. Eventually her partner popped up and it was time for bed. Her partner looked like it was looking for her deceased Loved one before going to bed.. this is the first night her partner will go to bed and wake up without her…

I just feel so incredibly guilty. And feel like I killed it, especially since she fell and didn’t survive the fall after being incredibly weak…

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I give you and your Mom my heartfelt condolences. I can pretty much assure you that you did not cause the passing of her Sun conure, it sounds like she was pretty ill to start with, very ill. You just happen to be there when she passed. ITs never easy losing one's companion animal, bird, dog, cat or what ever. What was her name? I make a donation to Cornell Uni's vet program, to be used exclusively for parrot related studies and programs, in the name of ParrotForums and all the parrots who have crossed the rainbow bridge, I'd like to include your Mom's Sun Conure in it.

OP
C

cinematiccloud

May 25, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds green cheek conures
I give you and your Mom my heartfelt condolences. I can pretty much assure you that you did not cause the passing of her Sun conure, it sounds like she was pretty ill to start with, very ill. You just happen to be there when she passed. ITs never easy losing one's companion animal, bird, dog, cat or what ever. What was her name? I make a donation to Cornell Uni's vet program, to be used exclusively for parrot related studies and programs, in the name of ParrotForums and all the parrots who have crossed the rainbow bridge, I'd like to include your Mom's Sun Conure in it.
her name was Josie 🥲 and her partner that is alive and alone is named Luna

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I was bird sitting for my mother who has a pair of two Sun cheeked conures and today I stopped by to see that one of them was all curled up with its eyes closed. I FaceTimed my mother and it started to fall over and sneezing uncontrollably.

My mother asked me to pick her up and I picked her up and so I did and she was incredibly weak. I placed her onto the table all panicked a minute later, it starts trying to fly and fails and then fell off the table where she lied dead…

I tried reviving her but she fell stiff. I watched my mother in tears as she hung up, telling me to check on it and just wait for a few hours to make sure she was truly dead and not just unconscious. I sat on the floor crying as I saw a line of clear fluid on the floor from where it fell to where I picked her up. My partner had to come to the house and calm me down and bury her for me.

Afterwards, we couldn’t find her partner anywhere. It took hours. Eventually her partner popped up and it was time for bed. Her partner looked like it was looking for her deceased Loved one before going to bed.. this is the first night her partner will go to bed and wake up without her…

I just feel so incredibly guilty. And feel like I killed it, especially since she fell and didn’t survive the fall after being incredibly weak…
@cinematiccloud, I too am so very sorry for the loss of your mom's precious girl Josie, but I agree with @wrench13 that you were most certainly not the cause of her passing. Birds are just SO good at masking signs of illness, often until it's too late for us to save them, I wish they weren't so very good at it but they are. Your feelings of guilt are misplaced, but borne out of the deep love you have for her, because it is so much easier to blame ourselves when awful things like this happen, I've done it myself and if I was in your place I would feel exactly the same as you do now. The shock and suddenness of how this happened makes Josie's loss just that much harder to cope with, but sometimes no matter how well-cared for and beloved our babies are, things happen that are out of our control. I'm just so very sorry you and you mom are going through this, and I send you my most sincere condolences, my heart hurts for both of you, and for Luna too. 💔

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, sweet Josie, until we all meet again, and I know that we will 🙏🌈

Most Reactions