Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I just can't. Dumb pet shop has this gorgeous blue quaker, always just sitting there. It has been months since I first saw the two of them, now only one remains. They didn't even clean the cage since they got the quakers in the shop... Cage was hideous.

An no, noone will react to it.

I am THIS close to go back tomorrow just to save the bird. But I have no spare cage, quarantine for the bird will be a nightmare and I have no space. While money isn't that much of an issue, my heart is as I know all would be temporary and I had enough of goodbyes for one life. I know I will get attached to it. And also, I really really don't want to give money and suport the shop. I really don't. Also the bird isn't really cheap.

I asked my partner to share the story on the hungarian facebook pages, in hope someone will take it in.

Also I don't know much about quakers, aside of that they are very chatty, are loud and often territorial. Also I am so afraid of ruining the current balance I have with Pascal. Best scenario is they become bffs, worst is that they hate each other. Also the quakers would surely win any fight.

I am so torn right now... What to do?

Attachments

• IMG20220309190201.jpg
    IMG20220309190201.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG20220309190151.jpg
    IMG20220309190151.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 124

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
well I've been in your shoes...twice!
If you want and feel a connection to this one. You can find a way and make it work.

My friends and family advice to me... your heart guides you, and a careful soul search ( can I realistically do this, its ok if its a little hard a little stretch, but can I make it work? )

Then my friends and family have stepped up to help me by giving or loan. I sold things, searched for cheap used cages for temporarily housing them.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You might check your equivalent of craigslist or freecycle or even church or social groups to borrow or buy a used cage?

Could the Quaker stay with a friend of yours during quarantine period?

No, the Quaker will not likely be able to play with your tiny conure. But they may watch each other and chat back and forth…

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
You might check your equivalent of craigslist or freecycle or even church or social groups to borrow or buy a used cage?

Could the Quaker stay with a friend of yours during quarantine period?

No, the Quaker will not likely be able to play with your tiny conure. But they may watch each other and chat back and forth…

Getting a cage is least of issue, but the space... I litteraly have no space where to put him/her. I really don't have a good spot where they could stay for good.

Also I don't like the idea to move the bird too much. I don't want to give it enough stress as it is. Also I don't think my soon-to-be-vet friend has time to take care of another parrot since he has his hands full with small finch chicks at the moment, and his other 3 parrots.

My heart is yearning to save a life, but I must sleep this over before i make any sudden decisions. Having a conure, a budgie, a senegal in few years (will be inheriting) AND a quaker on top... Also there are travels and all, and I cannot always expect my partner to stay home with birds. Last year we managed, but not sure how would it be with an extra pair of wings that we do not even know how much can we tame it.

Hence, perhaps I shall focus on spreading the info to the local parrot lovers, in hope someone buys this blue angel. Anywhere is better than that shop.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Getting a cage is least of issue, but the space... I litteraly have no space where to put him/her. I really don't have a good spot where they could stay for good.

Also I don't like the idea to move the bird too much. I don't want to give it enough stress as it is. Also I don't think my soon-to-be-vet friend has time to take care of another parrot since he has his hands full with small finch chicks at the moment, and his other 3 parrots.

My heart is yearning to save a life, but I must sleep this over before i make any sudden decisions. Having a conure, a budgie, a senegal in few years (will be inheriting) AND a quaker on top... Also there are travels and all, and I cannot always expect my partner to stay home with birds. Last year we managed, but not sure how would it be with an extra pair of wings that we do not even know how much can we tame it.

Hence, perhaps I shall focus on spreading the info to the local parrot lovers, in hope someone buys this blue angel. Anywhere is better than that shop.
It sounds to me like you don’t have space for this poor guy. I don’t know if QPS could do anything for a bird in Hungary. Maybe you could contact Quaker parakeet society? Or your local bird society?

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
all I can say is
don't follow your mind follow your heart
what does your mind say don't follow
what does your heart say follow it
shortcut for all this follow your heart
download.jpg

Attachments

• 16807-Follow-Your-Heart.jpg
    16807-Follow-Your-Heart.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
It sounds to me like you don’t have space for this poor guy. I don’t know if QPS could do anything for a bird in Hungary. Maybe you could contact Quaker parakeet society? Or your local bird society?
I think so too. While my heart is in the right place i need to be realistic. I am still very young and working. I still travel. Finding a person to take care of couple of birds is possible, but for such a mottley feathery crew is bit harder... Also were I to take in the bird, it would mean I would have to go through the whole taming process all over again... With chance that Pascal WILL try to get to the new bird. He is too friendly for his own good.

You're right. I'm currently contacting people to see who is willing to cash out in order to save the bird. I absolutely do not support these types of pet shops, and I will make sure to just back just to write an official complaint, as this is not okay. Sadly, here the inspections won't do much, I'm afraid...

These pet shops they don't profit anything from selling birds that sit there for months to no end....so what is the point?

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Ok, so I spoke to my friend soon-to-be-vet (I mean, he's in uni but actively working during operations on birdies) and he did point out that buying the bird would only continue the circle, they get a new bird, someone feels sorry and buys it, and again and again...and he is right.

Apparently there might be a certain type of inspection that I could write to, and judging to what I have seen there and according to the pics I have sent, the shop could get a huge fine. Perhaps not shut down, but we say "a slap on the wallet" might be a good start. If once again they get bad, again the inspector could come and give even bigger fine, and perhaps even forbid them selling animals.

Now my fear would be that okay, we send the inspector, they get a fine, and what if they simply dispose of the bird? It's not a tame bird (I bet) and it's twice the price than what you can get from tame young ones from private breeders.

So yeah. I don't know whether to go back, take more pictures, buy the bird and then write to the inspector to go check and perhaps fine them. Bit hard to decide. it's not only the quaker that had this dirty cages, but the cockatiels and the budgies are kept together in the same space, with 2 very thin dowels which are too much on the edge and too high up so the cockatiels cannot perch at all so they are forced to be on the bottom. One was even sleeping on the bottom.

Now, I might find space in the flat and energy and money and all, last question comes where to accommodate the birds if we go traveling. Might go and ask this friend of mine if his friends would be willing, as they are also bird lovers/experts as well. If I were to solve that accommodation issue, rest should be manageable. My heart is set for the blue fluff. Honestly years ago I never liked quakers, but i just simply started loving them and i do feel responsible for whatever reason to save the soul, even if it is temporarily and then finding it a proper home later on.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
It's such a hard decision.

I once took a dog in with a lot of behavior issues, not socialized, and my lease technically didn't allow him (but I got permission from my landlord). I didn't think I had the time or space or knowledge to make it work but I just couldn't let him go back to where he lived before.

He turned out to be my best buddy and lived almost 21 years. I'm not saying that everything would magically fall into place if you did get this blue floofy, but I sure do understand the tugging at your heart!

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
It's such a hard decision.

I once took a dog in with a lot of behavior issues, not socialized, and my lease technically didn't allow him (but I got permission from my landlord). I didn't think I had the time or space or knowledge to make it work but I just couldn't let him go back to where he lived before.

He turned out to be my best buddy and lived almost 21 years. I'm not saying that everything would magically fall into place if you did get this blue floofy, but I sure do understand the tugging at your heart!
That was so noble of you! Ah, we already saved and took care of so many dogs... One which lived with us for short 13 years, and other bunch that were at the weekend house... Sadly the shelters were full, so with help we managed to find home for most of them, but those which remained stayed there as stray dogs, but fed by my family greatly every week, and more often during summer. From the bunch only one stayed, which we accommodated only during winter, but she too, has passed away just last week.

Truly, it is never easy..! But the more I am looking at the situation, I am secretly hoping the bird gets snatched from there so the shop doesn't get any money. If I really wanted a quaker parrot, I would've gone to a breeder and get a tame one for half a price.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I keep reading and I'm hanging on my seat, oh she's getting him , oh ok she isn't going to, oh she might

All your shared thoughts going both ways pro and con are very reasonable.

But I'm just going to stick in this, lol, you already require a pet/bird sitter ...so what's one more???

The future sengal , is still in the unknown as life happens, but even then yiu would stull hsve a reasonable # of birds

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I keep reading and I'm hanging on my seat, oh she's getting him , oh ok she isn't going to, oh she might

All your shared thoughts going both ways pro and con are very reasonable.

But I'm just going to stick in this, lol, you already require a pet/bird sitter ...so what's one more???

The future sengal , is still in the unknown as life happens, but even then yiu would stull hsve a reasonable # of birds

Sorry to keep you on your seat, trust me I am keeping myself tense on the seat as well...! Thing is I used to bring the bird to the sitter as he had a spare cage, also I ain't got a car so it's bit hard to transport any cages ^^;;;

My friend and my partner are both trying to convince me NOT to buy the bird, as this is exactly how I would support the shop.

Yeah, the sennie is a big mystery. She is living with my partner's mum who is getting older by the day... It can happen tomorrow that we must take her in, or maybe in 3-5 years... But seeing the state of my mothe-in-law-to-be, could happen even sooner that we might take in Aina (the senegal). Pois are quite different and stoic birds, they don't like being in big flocks. She's not known to be straight aggressive towards the other birds, but we always must be vigilant to keep them away from her, not vice versa. She is a sweety and very tame. One spot in the flat is already saved for the sennie.

As soon my friend gives me more contacts or lets me know if he can take care of my extra bird, I might "turn around" my partner to go forward.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I got Pheobe from a shop way, way , expensive I could have gotten a gorgeous mutations for half her price, I'd met many gorgeous blue ones on my search for Neptune.
But Pheobe needed me. I didn't need or want another bird. I felt like I had to rescue her. I didn't think she had any chance as such a screamer.

So I just feel a connection to your story. And I hsve sn extra soft spot for the blues

I also didn't want to support the pet shops, and parrot cycle.....Thankfully Pheobe screaming convinced them to never get another quaker

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I got Pheobe from a shop way, way , expensive I could have gotten a gorgeous mutations for half her price, I'd met many gorgeous blue ones on my search for Neptune.
But Pheobe needed me. I didn't need or want another bird. I felt like I had to rescue her. I didn't think she had any chance as such a screamer.

So I just feel a connection to your story. And I hsve sn extra soft spot for the blues

I also didn't want to support the pet shops, and parrot cycle.....Thankfully Pheobe screaming convinced them to never get another quaker

Should I whisper to Plavka (yes I already gave her/him a nickname which is like "Blue") to scream and shout there just so they give me for free? :D and to stop getting bigger parrots?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Should I whisper to Plavka (yes I already gave her/him a nickname which is like "Blue") to scream and shout there just so they give me for free? :D and to stop getting bigger parrots?
YES

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I love P names!!!! I'm going to keep Plavka as name for some future ( universe no, don't bring me one now) pet!

Come on ! I have Penny, Pikachu, and Pheobe !
How dare you copy that dignified bird's name! I will send my turtle after you if you DARE actually use it!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts