Ice Lollies for our Fids?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I've read of people that give their fids frozen juice lollies on hot days. I'm quite intrigued by this idea but I wonder if the cold won't be too much for the bird? Any ideas? We are in mid summer here with temps going up to 35 to 40 degress celcius where I live so I'd like to offer Percy something cooling.

If it can be offered safely to my Percy, I was thinking of making teeny tiny lollies by liquidizing some papaya and strawberry (which he loves), stirring in a bit of passionfruit (with seeds) for a 'nibble' and freezing it on small plastic spoons. That way the portion won't be too big and he will have a toy to play with when he's done.

What do you guys think?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Sounds interesting....but I probably wouldn't do it, that's just me....I'm strange about giving birds certain stuffs and this is one of them.....lol

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Sounds interesting....but I probably wouldn't do it, that's just me....I'm strange about giving birds certain stuffs and this is one of them.....lol

Why do you say that, Mikey? If you don't mind sharing, I would like to know what puts you off the idea?

Personally, I am hesitant because of the temp thing. They would never get something that cold in the wild so what comfort do we have that the cold won't hurt them?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I am hesitant because of the cold thing as well!

Years ago when we first got Willie he did something he should of. We walked away for just a few minute and Willie made his way off his cage, climb onto the couch and went for my glass of wine I had sitting on the end table. I came into the living room shocked with him licking on my wine. I immediately took the wine glass away with him saying mmmmmmmmm, want some. I put him back on top of his cage. He was one drunk bird dancing and carrying on all night. I've never seen a bird acted so silly in my life. Although it was funny, it worried me half to death. If the coldness of the lollies does something to him, I won't be sleeping all night worrying about him.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
When it's 40, no iceblock stays an iceblock for long....

Have you seen this Yonanas machine? I got one the other day, after coming across a demonstrator at the shops. It chomps up frozen fruit so it's sort of like soft-serve icecream, but it's just bananas or whatever. I reckon I could share a little bit of that with my girl. Only a teensy-weensy bit, though. I wonder if she'd like it?

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Those sound like great ideas! Most of our birds love some flavoured ice to chew on (especially the keas, which live in snow in the wild).

Frozen fruit/veg puree with seeds inside are a big hit, we also freeze blocks with plastic chain inside, to hang up (might be a bit messy for an inside bird though).

As long as your bird isn't too young, or a BIG glutton, there should be no problem with him getting some icy treats :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mine love them. Frozen juice pops.

Just make sure they are non-dairy, and don't give them too much because they are high in sugar.

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Ok, I will make three little ones and wait for a super hot day :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeh, birdman, it'd get hot there in Texas, too, wouldn't it? How hot does it get there?

Summer is usually around 90s to 108-ish...

The other thing I've given mine, in moderation of course, is sherbet. They love the stuff. Again, high in sugar though, so just a taste.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Ok, I will make three little ones and wait for a super hot day :)

Yeah, if you have some small ice cube trays, just fill them up with juice, and there you go...

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
We were all sitting around eating those ice lollies that come in a long plastic sleeve (Zuper Dupers for Aussie members). The top broke off my husband's one and before anyone could do anything, Barney had swooped down and stolen it and flown up to the top of the TV with it (TV's on top of the fridge, so very high up). He sat and ate it with his face, dripping blue liquid all down himself and then down the TV. Hubby was less than happy but the kids and I hooted with laughter, especially when Madge came along and tried to steal it. Neither bird was fazed by the cold: they held the piece of ice (about four inches long initially) in their feet and munched and munched on it.

That's not the end of the story, though. They know now, that the Zuper Dupers are kept in the door of the freezer. So, woe betide anyone who holds the freezer door open for too long: a big green birdie will swoop and swipe an unopened Zuper Duper from under their nose and then fly aloft with it to rip open the plastic and feast on it. And it will leak lots of coloured liquid wherever it lands!

When I kept mice, I used to put plastic containers of ice in their cages on hot days. All the little creatures would crowd around and press up to the nice cold plastic. If I left the lid off, they would lick the ice and roll on it! I was always afraid of their skin getting stuck to the surface, but they loved their ice and looked for it on summer days. :)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
is sherbet.
Can you please explain what you mean? I think it's one of those things that is different in US and Australia (like biscuits).

I wouldn't want those coloured iceblocks eaten inside. They make a mess....

I put icebricks in with my bunnies when it's hot. They can't really get stuck to them with their fur, and with the temperatures, it is melting the minute you walk out the door, so it doesn't stay frozen to cause any issues like that.

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
I think it would be fine... In the summer I put ice cubes in the water and Parker tries his best to get them out and play with them.

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
My parrots like popsicles. I only let them have a few licks because of the sugar content. The popsicles are a hit in the summer. I wrap my hand around the popsicle first to melt it a bit, so that birdie tongues do not get stuck to it. Making fruit ones at home sounds much healthier!

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
is sherbet.
Can you please explain what you mean? I think it's one of those things that is different in US and Australia (like biscuits).

I wouldn't want those coloured iceblocks eaten inside. They make a mess....

I put icebricks in with my bunnies when it's hot. They can't really get stuck to them with their fur, and with the temperatures, it is melting the minute you walk out the door, so it doesn't stay frozen to cause any issues like that.

I think sherbet in America is like sorbet for us?

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
We were all sitting around eating those ice lollies that come in a long plastic sleeve (Zuper Dupers for Aussie members). The top broke off my husband's one and before anyone could do anything, Barney had swooped down and stolen it and flown up to the top of the TV with it (TV's on top of the fridge, so very high up). He sat and ate it with his face, dripping blue liquid all down himself and then down the TV. Hubby was less than happy but the kids and I hooted with laughter, especially when Madge came along and tried to steal it. Neither bird was fazed by the cold: they held the piece of ice (about four inches long initially) in their feet and munched and munched on it.

That's not the end of the story, though. They know now, that the Zuper Dupers are kept in the door of the freezer. So, woe betide anyone who holds the freezer door open for too long: a big green birdie will swoop and swipe an unopened Zuper Duper from under their nose and then fly aloft with it to rip open the plastic and feast on it. And it will leak lots of coloured liquid wherever it lands!

When I kept mice, I used to put plastic containers of ice in their cages on hot days. All the little creatures would crowd around and press up to the nice cold plastic. If I left the lid off, they would lick the ice and roll on it! I was always afraid of their skin getting stuck to the surface, but they loved their ice and looked for it on summer days. :)

^This is so cute! It's amazing how smart they are. If one of my kids pulls a popsicle out of the freezer (when the birdies are out), you can bet that they will soon enough be shouldering a parrot, lol.

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
I'm also keen to hear what 'your sherbet' is? In South Africa 'sherbet' is a fine white, sweet powder, often with a fizz to eat, eaten as a sweet by children.

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
That is what sherbet is in Oz as well. Sherbet in the USA is like sorbet but contains a small amount of milk, I think.

Most Reactions