Ideas for feeding set ups for small parrots?

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
I want to setup a feeding area where i can leave the food out all day and be sure my little guy doesn't poop in it, and I want it to be glass.

Does anyone know of a glass feeder with a top or whatever will keep him for scrunching down Into the food? Hes got a perch but he seems to want to stand in the bowl when hes done eating. His perches are not smooth, theyre textured with the flexi bandages.
I keep the food out all the time because he's small and he grazes.
I'm ready to try a cordial glass ;(

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Well, if he poops in his bowl a lot, you can always move it to a position where it won't get pooped on, at least not from a perch. But I found a bowl you might want for your situation:
It's not glass, but it's the best bowl I could find online for you. I do recommend using it outside of the cage, instead of inside, because you want to use a stainless steel bowl for long periods of time. But it should be okay on the outside.

OP
buurd

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
He's not pooping in it from the perch. He eats and then sometimes Ive seen him get into the bowl just to chill out. Hell get floofy and look like hes about to sleep.

I wonder if he likes the feel of the dry food underfoot, since these guys walk a fair bit in the wild. Is there something he can walk around in thats safe for him to be around? Like a little sandbox for small birds?

I dont think hed mistake it for a nest, would he? Its round, not square like the last dish. There are no nests around for obvious reasons.
Youd think there would be a glass option out there for feeding pet birds.

OP
buurd

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Well, if he poops in his bowl a lot, you can always move it to a position where it won't get pooped on, at least not from a perch. But I found a bowl you might want for your situation:
It's not glass, but it's the best bowl I could find online for you. I do recommend using it outside of the cage, instead of inside, because you want to use a stainless steel bowl for long periods of time. But it should be okay on the outside.
Thank you btw. Glass is supposed to be best, so thats why im looking for a glass system.

OP
buurd

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Oh carp...i just read something on lafebers site that says sitting in the food dish may be hormonal nesting and should pass in males.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
A few ideas
mini glass jars
teacup candle holders
glass paperweights

I have been searching many images, and thereā€™s many possibilities! The thoughts are for it to be large enough for a bit of feed, but too small to get in!
Also, I would think shallow and heavy are good attributes!
Ahā€”glass paperweight candle holders! Hit every thrift/junk shop around!

Hereā€™s an image search!

Most Reactions

Latest posts