May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I've seen pictures of a similar red colour mutation of a blue front
Red Color Mutation of the Blue-fronted Amazon | Voren's Aviaries Inc
I read this article and there is this sentece: This new color mutation’s unique characteristics are created by the production of red pigments which change the yellows to pinks and greens to browns. The forehead of 'our' parrot is lighter than red on the wings, so I think there is yellow in a natural colour. The yellow crowned amazon has got a dark beak, in the photo it is pale (this mutation doesn't change dark) so in my opinon it may be DYH.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
The two photos are close...the first thing that I thought when I saw him was that he looked almost not like an Amazon at all, but rather a Cape Parrot of some sort...

Even I thought of Poicephalus, considering the overall grey tone. But the red on the shoulder ? Do any Poicephalus have red on the shoulder? The skull structure resembles an Amazon but the face does not.

Anyways, I prefer Wild type colorations to man made color mutations in most species of parrots. Only exceptions being Budgies (again not all mutations), Cockatiels, Indian Ringnecks and Peach faced lovebirds.

Yes, the Cape Parrots do. If you do a Google Image search for "Cape Parrot Mutations", you'll see very similar coloring to this parrot...

It's this bird's face that keeps me going back to Cape Parrot...Now Cape Parrots are much, much larger than any of the other Poicephalus species, they are definitely the size of a lot of the small/medium size Amazons. I mean, we're talking at least 5x the size of a Senegal, Meyers, Jardine, etc. I know someone who has both a Senegal and a Cape Parrot, and when they sit side-by-side on their stand, the Senegal looks like a Budgie!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Yes, the Cape Parrots do. If you do a Google Image search for "Cape Parrot Mutations", you'll see very similar coloring to this parrot...

It's this bird's face that keeps me going back to Cape Parrot...Now Cape Parrots are much, much larger than any of the other Poicephalus species, they are definitely the size of a lot of the small/medium size Amazons. I mean, we're talking at least 5x the size of a Senegal, Meyers, Jardine, etc. I know someone who has both a Senegal and a Cape Parrot, and when they sit side-by-side on their stand, the Senegal looks like a Budgie!

You know what I just noticed that may point to you being right? The ring around the birds eye just isn't amazon-like. Too big, I think. But the beak is very amazon like...

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Considering that cape parrots come from Africa and Amazons from South America, I do not believe a cape hybrid is likely. They (capes) are more likely to hybridize with an african grey than an amazon.

His name is Tango, owned by Tina. Vet thinks Tango is a Yellow Headed Amazon. (of some sort) He was adopted in 2015.

Since Tango's coloration has remained the same and has, so far, to my knowledge, checked out healthy at the vets, it seems that Tango is quite possibly a mutation amazon. Hybrids would not look like that.

Here's some peoples speculations on Tango.

Judy Looks like it is a pianist (pionus), maybe bronzewing.

Allison I think it might be a pionus/white front amazon hybrid.
My guess is bronze wing/white front amazon

I said that Tango didn't look like a pionus x amazon hybrid, but I've also never seen a pionus x amazon hybrid. *IF* an amazon would hybridize outside of it's species, my first guess *WAS* pionus x amazon, since they are quite similar, come from the same country... but first? Conure x amazon!!! :eek: If anything, looks more like red suffusion (but I kind of have my doubts there) Direct reply to that...

Roelant Pionus x Amazon would be a first indeed. Pionus maximiliani x Amazona albifrons perhaps? Red suffused albifrons?
Any pictures of it's tail: front and back?​

Robin Closest looking species would be St. Vincent amazon, but it could just be the wetness doing that.

Judy I think bronze wing! White cap. Definitely pionus in there!

Roelant
No red Alula in Pionus.
Kris Not a pionus....it's a red suffused Amazon!

Matthew M Do you have their contact info. I'm in Canada I would like to check out this bird in person if they are nearby. (Matt is a breeder in Ontario - too far away)

Tony This coloration is often seen in old Panama and Yellow-crowned amazons that have liver issues. I have photos of several birds and many years ago Scott McDonald looked at one from a clinical point of view and realized that the color changes were health related.

Daema I was also going to say possibly liver damage. I'd run some blood panels just to be safe. Liver damage can cause discolored feathers, such as red or yellow coloration where it shouldn't be.
Also, Pionus and Amazons are two entirely different genus, they can't hybridize. Just like how a Macaw and Cockatoo can never hybridize naturally.

Myself Guess a good question may be...
How do we tell the difference between "chocolate raspberry" (disregarding species) and red suffusion on an unknown bird?
The red suffusion I've seen doesn't come with blue hues. This amazon is *very* blue! That's what's confusing me!
Agreed though on species family. I *want* to lean towards other species, but that beak... just wrong shape/size and color for those other species.

Tony The plumage structure is key in identifying these clinical birds. The feathers have a curled like shape for one.

Tony has pictures of a few amazons with similar coloration in his FB album....
Mutation and Rare Parrots from Around the World | Facebook

David I have photos of this bird when it was advertised last a couple of years back. I contacted them and explained that most likely the bird has a nutritional deficiency which caused this poor colouration. They did not accept my assessment as they were advertising it as a one of a kind rare mutation and wanted a ludicrous amount for it ...

parrotbob

May 12, 2019
So just to reinvigorate this topic, our shelter received this bird yesterday.

We have narrowed it down to a Blue Front or Yellow Nape -- leaning toward yellow nape because of the coloration of the beak and the fact that he is 504 grams, bigger than the typical bluefront (and not presenting as overweight).

Attachments

• amazon1.jpg
    amazon1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 161
  • amazon2.jpg
    amazon2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 136
  • amazon3.jpg
    amazon3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 122

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

We have narrowed it down to a Blue Front or Yellow Nape -- leaning toward yellow nape because of the coloration of the beak and the fact that he is 504 grams, bigger than the typical bluefront (and not presenting as overweight).

Amy weighs in at 517g's...heaviest he has ever been is 548 :eek:
That is a beautiful bird btw!

Jim

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
What a handsome bird, parrotbob! Definitely not yellow naped amazon. Head is all wrong for it, as are the eyes. I’d even question Amazon altogether.

The feathers around the neck scream poicephalus to me. But I doubt that also. The eyes are gonna be key - those are almost conure eyes. But I’ve got nothing.

Cyno

May 12, 2019
Not sure if I'm right or not but check out St Vincent amazons, they look quite similar.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

What a beauty!
I saw your post on FB and thought of this thread. I'm glad you joined us!

Last edited:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Not sure if I'm right or not but check out St Vincent amazons, they look quite similar.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
It's not a St. Vincent Amozon.
I don't have any ideas what is the species bur it's a red factor mutation like Tango from the first post. I looked on photos of mentioning species and from them eventually can be young YNA but somebody said it can't be... I always looking on the photos try to "change" (in my mind) their "normal" color this way:
green--> brown
blue is still blue
red is still red
yellow--> pink
I write this because maybe it will help you in your suggestions (I "descriped" how natural color is changed to red mutation)

Last edited:

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
What a handsome bird, parrotbob! Definitely not yellow naped amazon. Head is all wrong for it, as are the eyes. I’d even question Amazon altogether.

The feathers around the neck scream poicephalus to me. But I doubt that also. The eyes are gonna be key - those are almost conure eyes. But I’ve got nothing.

I don't know on what basis you say this. To me It looks like most like an Yellow Naped Amazon whose feathers have been painted in a bizarre combination of colours.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Cardinal, on the basis of the reasons you just quoted on my post.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

I was only comparing them to conures, I don’t think it is one. Big bald patch around the eye.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The second bird is, without a doubt, an amazon. As to species? That could be a tough one... maybe even mealy?

Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Gracie, our Blue Fronted Amazon.

Oh my GOSH I want that bird! Gorgeous!

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

TinasTV

Jul 4, 2023
I saw this Amazon at a bird show yesterday, and no one really can identify what he is. His owners got him from the Humane Society. Not sure if he is a hybrid or mutation.
He is gorgeous, though!

Photo courtesy of Meika's Bird House:

r7I93zi.jpg
THIS IS A STOLEN BIRD -- I was at an event Parott Polooza in Calgary an Meika's took they picture - do they have him now? I think XXXXX had him last - she was at my house when I came home from the hospital when they took him -- I miss him for 3 or 4 years now and won't give up

Attachments

• IMG_1279.JPG
    IMG_1279.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1760.JPG
    IMG_1760.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3242.JPG
    IMG_3242.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 19
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
THIS IS A STOLEN BIRD -- I was at an event Parott Polooza in Calgary an Meika's took they picture - do they have him now? I think XXXXX had him last - she was at my house when I came home from the hospital when they took him -- I miss him for 3 or 4 years now and won't give up
Is that the same bird - THAT IS MY BIRD and has the implant and I have the tag he was taken as a favour during cancer surgery by XXXXX after asking for help and they refused to return him and I am beside my self 3 years later because they said they would return him and changed their mind.
I'm sending you a private message. Just to let you know, this photo and thread is from 2018, and I haven't seen your bird since that show. I'm sorry for what you're going through.

Last edited:
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
This thread is temporarily closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts