If anyone knows how to make my conure bite less

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Welcome. Take a deep breath this is a well documented problem which will pass with the right actions. You don't say how long you have had your little one or how old he is, and both facts might have a bearing on the problem. Perhaps a few more details like when he bites, where he bites eg hands. Actions on your part may vary depending on those details. In the meantime have a look through the site at other threads on biting - there are many.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
As noted above, there can be a lot of different reasons a bird gets bitey.

--One of the most common, is to communicate. As such, working on Target Training can be very helpful. Strongly recommend searching for Target Training, or even buying a book about it.

--Two, and especially important, rather than attempting to "stop" the biting, instead focus on Bite PRESSURE Training.

Remember, they do not have hands, so they use their beaks instead. Trying to make them Never "bite" is often like making a human wear a muzzle and wrap their hands in gauze... just leads to frustration and bad behavior.

Instead work on teaching the command "Be Gentle." So, nibbles can be allowed. Start with a little gentle beak play which birdie will probably like. (Ie, gentle beak massag, etc. Polite birds will often gently "beak" each other in greeting.) Or if that is too advanced, interact with a toy that birdie also likes interacting with. (For example, mine has several dangling toys, likes to shake them, so I shake them for her.) And, OFFER your fingers to be chewed upon. IF the chewing is hard enough to hurt, gently move your hand away saying "be gentle,", Then bring hand back again. More Hard chewing? Do it again, "Be Gentle." Again chewing that hurts? "Be Gentle!" and take hand away more quickly, even walk away a few moments.

The great thing about this... a couple years down the road, my bird can communicate ever-so-well with her beak. She will gently poke or pull at my hand to move it (me) around. Sometimes I don't know if she's asking me to lift her out of cage, or for something else. If I get it wrong, she will GENTLY bite me -- just enough that if we were playing a bite-pressure game, i would have withdrawn my hand slightly. Etc. So, I know I misunderstood something, and apologize.

Remember, birds understand WAY WAY more than you think they do. They are super smart. Always explain what you are doing and why. Apologize, if you were wrong or even if your bird probably Thinks you were wrong. They Definitely understand apologies. If they feel they were treated unfairly and you don't apologize, they will sulk and remain angry.

This whole thing assumes you have a somewhat good relationship with your bird. IF your bird is AFRAID (which can present as anger, etc), then you need to start further back, and work on developing a trusting relationship with your bird.

There are lots of threads about that on this forum as well.

Also look up ABC behavior modification.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Also remember sometimes what we think is Biting, is a bird wanting to Preen you. This is another reason why the Bite Pressure training is very important. Preening is a social behavior. If birds preen each other wrong they will correct each other. But the preening continues. It is a Social behavior between birds that like each other. They use their beaks and to us it can feel like gentle biting. So as long as its gentle, it's Okay and even should be Encouraged. :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Additionally to the above great stuff.
A bird will protect cage. Having them step out to an outside attached perch before interacting can eliminate most cage protection problems.

Feeding a treat seed by hand many times a day. Build trust. Be predictable use the same phrases, have a routine. Do micro target training, no more than 4 times in a session. Then wait 2o minutes and repeat. Praise all good activities, praise when they take a treat. Praise when they come say hi.

Nearly all behavior problems take a whole bird whole environment approach. Enough time out of the cage, enough one on one time, stimulating environment, things to destroy, a great diet whith variation of veggies and leafy greens including. A choice if when to take a bath, of different hang out spots. Always greet first thing in the morning, always tell them goodbye when leaving and hello when you first step in the door.

Bites should be considered your fault, you failed to read clues, you pushed them, you over stepped boundaries. You over excited them, or kept them to long from food and water, as they need a snack and water break every hour fir those that have their bird on them fir hours at time. Also set up hang out perches bear you while you do stuff.

Bite avoidance is the best way. In my ornithology thread I have links to do many behavior issues. Every single article started with meeting a d improvement of burds life. Increasing self choice options for the bird. Increasing time out of the cage. Burds have a sense of self, and you have to work to maintain a relationship just like you would with a significant other.

OP
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Aug 23, 2021
Killeen Texas
Parrots
Sun Conure (1 foot)
Also remember sometimes what we think is Biting, is a bird wanting to Preen you. This is another reason why the Bite Pressure training is very important. Preening is a social behavior. If birds preen each other wrong they will correct each other. But the preening continues. It is a Social behavior between birds that like each other. They use their beaks and to us it can feel like gentle biting. So as long as its gentle, it's Okay and even should be Encouraged. :)
I know she does yell if I put my finger near her sometimes but she does preen me and show that she is comfortable while on my shoulder

OP
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Aug 23, 2021
Killeen Texas
Parrots
Sun Conure (1 foot)
Welcome. Take a deep breath this is a well documented problem which will pass with the right actions. You don't say how long you have had your little one or how old he is, and both facts might have a bearing on the problem. Perhaps a few more details like when he bites, where he bites eg hands. Actions on your part may vary depending on those details. In the meantime have a look through the site at other threads on biting - there are many.
We've had her for a year atleast but she was always in my brother's room and she never got much attention. I don't know old she is but the original owner gave it to us when she was unable to go with her on a flight. She only has 1 foot and was never shown much attention to by my brother and recently I decided to start showing her more attention.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Thanks for the extra information, it explains a lot. So the fact is that life has changed radically. After little attention for a year suddenly she has more. When she joined your household she was possibly very upset and missing her previous owner and pining. She was then ignored a lot and these birds are flock birds and crave company. They love interaction. They thrive when busy and in a place where things are happening. They are intelligent and need stimulation. Now things have changed again and she may be very unsettled again. She has only one foot bless her so she is vulnerable. She cannot run away as she should like and until she gets really used to you and the new set up, chances are she is reacting in the only way she knows.
What to do. Try to put her somewhere where there are people or at least where you are a lot. Then take a lot of steps back and treat her like a little scared newcomer to your home. Give her a chance to watch and listen to you without expecting anythng from her. The whole point is to gain her trust. Talk to her all the time with a low friendly voice. Offer treats whenever you approach the cage. If she backs away then draw back yourself. Let her take the lead and be guided by how comfortable she is in your presence.
All the effort, patience, kindness and slow progress will show dividends in the end. Don't have any schedule of expectation then any progress will be a bonus.
Read to her so she gets to really recognise you, remember that in the wild she would expect to be a prey to something bigger and to her you are really big. She doesn't know if you are going to eat her, and with one foot she knows she is vulnerable. It may well take weeks or even longer for her to trust you sufficiently for you to be able to handle her freely and even then they can scare easily and can be sent backwards.
A useful tip is even changing clothes can frighten them because you look different. Good luck with her and thank you for giving this little one a chance. It will be a long term commitment. Keep asking questions there are so many really knowledgeable people here who will help.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Fantastic that you are taking steps to improve her life!! Its never to late!

I've taken abuse or neglected, or just re homed parrots. They all learned to tryst love and interact with me. My really old girl was shut down from spending all her time in a small cage, and it took months to build her confidence. Now she shines with personally and is has so much humor. Is so sweet.

A one legged parrot usually has to stabilize with beak holding you before they. An step to your hand. And takes trust that you won't pull your hand away and let her fall. So easy for all of that to ked to confusing and mistake bites.

Watch the you tune target training videos. Bird tricks on you tube has lots of great videos. Teaching her to come out to a perch then to you or to a hand help perch might Really move things forward for you.

Every time you come to say hello ( and try to do that many many times a day, even just a few minutes apart) give her a treat seed. I use safflower. This teaches her to associate good things with you. Sst a chair next to the cage and sit and read texts out loud to her. Let her come out and explore you and move around on the chair on her own. You can teach her to go back to cage on her own fir treats. It takes time and patience.

Having the cage in the main living area but with the back against the wall, and being a part if everything and seeing everything is usually best. They are an intensive social creature.

Teach foraging. Again great vids on bird tricks . Teach simple tricks like touching an object fir a treat. Or picking up an object fir a treat.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is a fantastic article, and really every one should read. It really helps you understand how birds think

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This thread i put so many links on behavior, health, parrot intelligence ect.

Parrots can be an incredible amazing loving companion. But they have lots of needs, their intelligence needs to stimulated, and they aren't the easiest "pet" to have. But with a thoughtful care if their needs, absolutely incredible loving creatures. They are messy, can be loud, will use that beak on occasion, and take time. They are not leave in the cage and forget till its convenient fir you pets. They are to smart and socially complex for that. But once you earn their trust and love, oh its so worth it.

Most Reactions