Ill parakeet *Updated*

Ashes

Jul 19, 2022
Hello! Last night I noticed my male 5 year old parakeet was panting really hard, we thought he might be overheated so we let him splash around in some water but he was just sitting there. Upon further inspection I realized he's plucked the feathers from his abdomen and he's dragging his left leg. I tried to inspect the leg but he keeps curling it up so I can't get to it. So I put him back in the cage in his little house to let him rest but when I went to check on him this morning there was no improvement. Anybody know what it could be?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'm so sorry your little one is not well. The thing to always keep in mind is that parrots are prey animals, and as such, will hide illness until they can't any longer. By that time, they're likely VERY sick and if there's any way possible, you need to seek help from an avian vet ASAP. If you don't have one, here's a resource that might be of assistance:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello! Last night I noticed my male 5 year old parakeet was panting really hard, we thought he might be overheated so we let him splash around in some water but he was just sitting there. Upon further inspection I realized he's plucked the feathers from his abdomen and he's dragging his left leg. I tried to inspect the leg but he keeps curling it up so I can't get to it. So I put him back in the cage in his little house to let him rest but when I went to check on him this morning there was no improvement. Anybody know what it could be?
Welcome to the forums to you and your parakeet. Don't forget to tell us his name, will you?

From your description I would have to suggest that your little one is in some distress, the dragging of the leg would suggest this is the case, as would the plucking of feathers - this can happen as an external manifestation of internal discomfort or pain. He may have somehow injured the leg, or there may be something internal going on, as the plucking of feathers over the abdomen. Exactly what is going on with your parakeet is best diagnosed by an avian vet, so I hope the resource provided by @saxguy64 can help you find one close by.

Until you can get him to a vet, if you can keep him confined to a smaller cage to limit movement and any further potential damage, that would be for the best.

I wish you and your little one all the best!🙏

Last edited:
OP
Ashes

Ashes

Jul 19, 2022
I'm so sorry your little one is not well. The thing to always keep in mind is that parrots are prey animals, and as such, will hide illness until they can't any longer. By that time, they're likely VERY sick and if there's any way possible, you need to seek help from an avian vet ASAP. If you don't have one, here's a resource that might be of assistance:
Ty so much for this!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Mayyybe this will help... it's just my take on the great sources listed here.
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.
Or... sometimes I find a place to start just by Googling "avian veterinarian near ((your location))"

Good luck!

OP
Ashes

Ashes

Jul 19, 2022
Thank you everyone for all the prayers and wishes! And especially the links to the vet, I called one local to me and got in right away. They ran some tests and discovered he is unfortunately suffering from heart disease due to old age so the doctor gave him some medicine to keep him comfortable. It's just a waiting game now.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thank you everyone for all the prayers and wishes! And especially the links to the vet, I called one local to me and got in right away. They ran some tests and discovered he is unfortunately suffering from heart disease due to old age so the doctor gave him some medicine to keep him comfortable. It's just a waiting game now.
Thank you for updating, although I am sorry that the news was not so good. Unfortunately heart issues can be caused by any number of things, and sometimes it's just bad genetics like with my cockatiel Fang, who as been on daily heart meds for a few years now. Budgies are amazing little creatures, so tough and resilient in many ways yet so fragile in so many others, but they never fail to completely capture our hearts. Sending feathered hugs your way, and I hope you will give your little one a kiss from me if he will let you ❤️

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I'm so glad your little one is doing better, may he continue to improve! 🙏

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you for caring for this little old bird. It’s hard to watch your bird friend get old and fragile but I am sure he is happy to have a loving home.

Most Reactions