Illiger's Macaw Screams

kunala6

Dec 19, 2016
Hi

I adopted about 17 year old illiger's macaw back in November. I don't know much of his history except that he was with a female in a breeding facility that was seized due to poor conditions. The female bit off 3 off his toes on one of his feet. He is still a bit nasty in his cage and tends to bite, so I usually have to towel him out, he doesn't go after the towel as much anymore only a hand. Once he is out of his cage he is very friendly with me for the most part. He will even try and talk and say some words. I know he has been through a lot over the years and he definitely has some sort of anxiety when I put him back to his cage or when I come home he starts to scream, and it will always be when he sees me. The only other time he screams if I am not there is when we have many people over. I understand that he wants to be a part of the "flock" when everyone is over, and for the most part I will handle him when I can but there are times when I can't, so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas that will help him stop or prevent him from screaming especially when I have guest over or something. I built him a play gym and all but I don't want him to think that every time someone comes over or if he screams he gets to go to the gym as a reward or punishment. I do my best to ignore him on occasion when I can't handle him but he just keeps screaming sometimes. So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions that might help please let me know.

Thank you
Kunal Patel

Most Reactions

Latest posts