Im a High School Student

unaware

Feb 12, 2018
Hello! I am a high school student as you can see above, and googling for answers isn't the same as asking experienced people with birds currently and in the past.

I have multiple questions on what kind of bird I should get to how much time I need to be with it. I currently am debating between a Conure (any suggestions for what type i'm leaning more towards a green cheek because they tend to be quieter.) but i'm also looking at a love bird (also any suggestions for what type?) I understand the birds do need to have time with you but I currently am In school, but willing to incorporate it into my morning time and let it out to play after school doing homework or watching tv and maybe even just one on one time. Ive mainly been researching on conures rather than love birds so I don't know as much compared to conures. My main concern about getting a bird is the time we are away during school hours which tend to last 6 or 7 hours. I do not play any sports or in any clubs after school so i will get home to it at the same time everyday. Another concern is if I have people over with it be overwhelmed and possibly stress out? Also if i spend the night at others houses will i have to ask my parent or sibling to watch it?

Thank you for answering my questions!

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I'm not sure what kind of bird you should get but I have a question for you. You say you aren't in any after school activities right now so you can come home a spend time with the bird. Are you planning to not have any after school or after work activities for the next 20 to 35 years? That's how long the birds you've mentioned live. Are you planning on taking the bird to the college dorm with you? Birds usually pick a person and can't easily be left in the care of others and birds are a lot of work and shouldn't just ever be something your parents pop in to feed once a day while you're at college for 4 years. Birds can easily develop a screaming problem that is not easily or ever fixed. If they are sad and alone they can pluck out all their feathers and scream all day if they don't get enough love and attention. Please consider what I'm telling you before you make a decision. I would recommend a budgies as a 1st bird because you can get 2 and they can keep each other company while your away.

Also, birds can cost a lot too. There is he cage and toys $300 or so and the vet visit at least once a year $200 and if they are sick bills can add up fast. For instance I have had my 2nd conure for 2 months and he has already packed up $600 in vet bills and the cage was $300 and toys $100 and food and treats $75 and I bought him for $550.

Last edited:

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
It is very simmilar to having a child and a huge commitment. It will need your attention for at least 2-3 hours every single day for 20-30 years. We are not trying to be mean or anything but give you honest advice but i can understand the desire in wanting one as they are amazing pets if you can give them what they need and deserve.

How about a budgie? They are Parrots and are alot easier and a great first bird. I just think a Conure will be too much at your age. They just need so much attention. They get really attatched to you and some need 6 or more hours a day with you or they can start hurting themselves. Im sorry if this isnt what you want to hear. I got a Quaker and although i thought i was ready it is more than i expected looking after him and im 33.

Volunteering at a Parrot rescue would be a great experience. You get to see what they are like and play with them. Thanks for posting and being mature x

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
as someone who had a Tiel at 11 (slightly different to highschooler age true) I would say not yet. Money, time, changes in life, altering mindset ETC are all things right now you have to contend with. Plus after finishing education there'll be a period where feeding yourself will be a tall order. Plus it's a lot harder to find a place to live with any pet. For now go out and do dumb teenage things and once you stabilize as an adult you can think about it again.

Another thing to think of especially is how would you get to a vet in an emergency? Speaking from experience it's horrible to be stuck in a situation a vet could either fix or at least help and be physically unable to get to the vet because you don't have a car.

Saying that you've shown a good attitude by researching and then once not having a clear answer asking people!

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
I am a university student, and spending a lot of time with my birds is one of my main priorities. Although I go to uni every day, my schedule is pretty irregular - some days I only start class at 3pm, some I start at 8am and finish at 9am, some days I am there for a bit longer, but I always have a few hours of spare time. I always skip going to study at the library with friends and instead come home and study with my birds on my shoulders! What I am getting at is that, since I am at university, my time schedule is far more flexible than when I was at school - however, it was still a difficult decision for me to make. When you’re at university and school your social life schedule also comes into play, so keep that in mind. I am lucky that my living situation suits my birds.

I had budgies during my high school years, but they lived in my aviary and were a responsibility I shared with my mom. Having a companion parrot that bonds very closely to you and expects love and attention from you every day is another story. Birds that don’t see their human often get very, VERY depressed. Even budgies and other smaller birds (like lovebirds) do.

Cost is another thing to consider. I saved up before purchasing my birds and everything that goes with them - cages (very expensive), toys (birds will destroy so many toys haha), food, vet visits, everything. My mom occasionally buys them food, but it isn’t frequent. I now have a “bird fund” that I keep ready every month that goes towards my parrots.

Honestly, I think that most of my life revolves around these birds! You have to remember that in some instances you may have to make many sacrifices for a bird - time, schedule, activities, hobbies, social life - and sometimes, even if you think you are prepared, it might not be the time to commit to that.

I personally believe you should wait until you are a bit older, not only because you may not have the time, but because the transition from high school to the rest of your life can throw a spanner in the works when you have a bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hey--
I am trying to put together some threads for you to read. This one was posted by a 17-year-old and it contains A LOT of important information on time requirements, as well as care:
http://www.parrotforums.com/new-members-welcome/83942-what-kind-bird-would-work-my-schedule.html (read all of the pages-- the numbers to the bottom-right-side of the replies allow you to toggle pages)
http://www.parrotforums.com/questio...t-getting-eclectus-african-grey-parrot-2.html (read all of the pages)
http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/83882-great-apartment-parrots.html (again, read all---you may not always be in a house + there is other info on there as well)
http://www.parrotforums.com/new-members-welcome/79908-possible-first-time-bird-owner.html (post by a college grad student asking a similar question)
I will try to post more before work.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
how did it pop up on the new threads page??? That is so weird...

WAIT--- IT WAS ACTIVATED BY A SPAMMER (WHOM I REPORTED) AND THEN HIS POST WAS DELETED!!! BAM----MYSTERY SOLVED...!

Last edited:

Most Reactions