I'm finally winning him around!!

nattyd

Mar 10, 2019
London, UK
Parrots
GCC: Yoshi
So this isn't a question but I am absolutely overjoyed at me and Yoshi's progress.. After a month of absolute stress, Yoshi is finally realising I'm a friend (or a treat-giver). In the last 4 days we have made huge progress.

I think this could possibly help someone who's still in the taming process..

Whilst Yoshi wasn't super scared of me approaching his cage he was absolutely petrified of my hands, flying away every single time they went near him, and so..

I started to move his cage everyday next to my bed on a chair (I've been doing this since last friday) i eat next to him, speak to him and watch my shows which i make sure he can also see, also give him treats any time i eat to make him feel included.

In addition to this for about 10 minutes, 3 times a day I've been putting my hands gently on his cage where he can see them and i just speak softly to him, after the 10 minutes i put a treat in his bowl and continue what i was doing - i guess he's started realising hands = treats.

and TODAY, 6 days later he has finally started to receive food from my hand, at first with a little hesitation but as of now, he's been receiving from me all day - I even put my pinky next to his cage and he came and started to slightly nibble on it - I don't think this was in an aggressive way, he was sticking out his tongue, like i've seen cockatoo's do - not sure if green cheeks do this, nonetheless the nibbling wasn't hard at all - he probably thought it was food - to be honest the fact that he came towards my hand on his own and actually reached out to my finger is enough for me.

Any time i leave the room and he starts to squawk I simply reply and say I'm here yoshi and he stops screaming.

Writing this because i am 1. overjoyed and 2. thought this could help someone out!

I know we have a long way to go but any progress is absolutely amazing - it's a great feeling seeing his little personality come out more and more everyday!!

:gcc:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 20.51.52.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 20.51.52.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.
Awesome!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!! You did well.... :cool:

MMARC234

Nov 20, 2018
Louisiana
Parrots
Male Pineapple GCC- Leo * Male Blue Quaker- Bluebell * Male Green Quaker- Avocado
he was sticking out his tongue, like i've seen cockatoo's do - not sure if green cheeks do this

I don’t know if they ALL do it, but my guy definitely does. He does it with pretty much everything, but especially my fingers. Sometimes I think he just likes the taste of my skin lol. Might be because it’s a touch salty... or maybe he’s just weird :D

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Nice job moving slowly and letting him work toward you at his own pace! Trust is earned and you are doing it the best way :).

Most Reactions

Latest posts