I'm Getting Another GREEN CHEEK CONURE

ShadoBaby

Jan 23, 2015
So, I decided to get another GCC. I already have a pineapple named Shado whom I love very much, but I think we could both use another companion. I don't know if Shado is a boy or girl, unfortunately, I was too cheap to do the DNA test when I got her (I say her) a year ago. She is almost 2 years old. I think she will get along well with another bird in the house because I babysat my sisters doves and she seemed very intrigued (in a friendly way) by them. Also, she loves the bird she sees in the mirror occasionally.

My new bird will be a little cinnamon. This baby is only a month old and will be coming home in 2 months or so. I plan on housing them separately but they will have supervised time out of the cage together.

I have a few concerns.

1). Do I need to be worried if they both turn out to be males? I'm getting the baby DNA sexed and I will probably do the same for Shado. Although, judging by what I read online, Shado might be a boy because of her/his pelvic bones. They are quite pointy and close together. Also, Shado is very territorial when it comes to other people. She likes my cat though. She's definitely and odd one.

2) if the house them separately, which I will, do I have to worry about losing my bond with Shado? I'm a bit afraid of them becoming so attached that I'm no longer part of the flock. It may seem selfish, but I'm just being honest.

3) will I need to quarantine the new bird? The baby will have disease testing done.

I guess this is all the questions I have for now. I'm very excited for my cinnamon. Thanks for your help!

Mallory

Jul 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
YNA hen "Greenleaf", Black Capped x Green Cheek Hybrid "Eva", CAG (hatched 1/1/2016), European Starling "Koda"
You will have to wait and see how the birds' relationships develop. Gender is only a small factor in personality and in most cases can be overcome. It's good your new bird will be young when introduced to Shado as some older birds can be "set in their ways" and more grumpy about introductions. Still, there is no guarantee they will get along! If they do get along and you find they are more interested in spending time with each other than with you, you can always schedule their play times so that they get some time together each day and some time spent just with you. We looked after a cockatiel for awhile and Eva wanted to spend all day as that bird's shadow so we had to do the same thing. She still got "play dates" but didn't get to spend all day with the other bird.

As for quarantining, it's always a good practice even if you know the bird is coming from a quality breeder. I personally feel a 1-month quarantine is appropriate although you need to find what you are comfortable with. I know it will be a struggle because you want to introduce your birds right away and your new baby will be adorable. It's up to you to gauge risks and act appropriately to keep both birds safe!

Finally, congratulations! I hope you know pictures are required and we will be expecting to see some soon.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
1). Do I need to be worried if they both turn out to be males? I'm getting the baby DNA sexed and I will probably do the same for Shado. Although, judging by what I read online, Shado might be a boy because of her/his pelvic bones. They are quite pointy and close together. Also, Shado is very territorial when it comes to other people. She likes my cat though. She's definitely and odd one.

If both turn out to be males, you'll never have to worry about eggs!

The pelvic method isn't very reliable... especially in young females and females not breeding. Their pelvic bones can feel about the same as a males.

A better method.... "nest sexing". This only works though if you know the parents genetics. As in, the new baby, is the mother also a cinnamon? If not, the new baby is female. If the mother is a cinnamon, then baby could be male or female.

Same would apply for Shado, if you knew Shado's parents' mutations. If the mother was *not* a cinnamon, or *not* an opaline, then Shado is female! If Shado's mother was the same color, then Shado could be male or female.

2) if the house them separately, which I will, do I have to worry about losing my bond with Shado? I'm a bit afraid of them becoming so attached that I'm no longer part of the flock. It may seem selfish, but I'm just being honest.

That depends entirely on you and your birds. I have three conures. Charlie, a mitred conure, Jayde, a red throated conure, and Finn, a conure of unknown species. (unless I can find his breeder or skip a few years into the future!) Charlie and Jayde are both bonded to me, and do not get along at all, except in Charlie's favorite location! Anywhere else, it's all beak quarrels and bickering! Finn, on the other hand, could care less. Sure, he likes head scritches, but he's not going to go out of his way to ask for attention, nor does he seem particularly drawn to the dynamic duo of Charlie and Jayde. I'd be happy if they all could get along! But I don't have the right type of setup at the moment for them to "attempt" them getting along in the manner I would wish.

3) will I need to quarantine the new bird? The baby will have disease testing done.
As mentioned, it's still a good idea to do quarantine. Min 30 days, or up to 90 days is recommended, even with testing! Most homes however are not equipped to do a proper quarantine, so you may try. Some things may not show up until the 30+ day mark.

Most Reactions

Latest posts