I'm in need of help.

Skylar.s

Jun 5, 2022
Parrots
I have 3 parakeets. 2 males and 1 female.
I have 3 parakeets and I've had them for about 6 months now. When I got them I was under the assumption that they were separated by gender, but they weren't or it was an accident. Either way when I was looking at them today I realized that one is a girl and the other 2 is a boy. My problem is, is it seems that the 2 boys are starting to fight over the one girl to the point where one drew blood. But I pretty sure that I know which 2 birds have chosen to mate together. I don't want to separate them due to the fact that my whole room is there cage so I don't think either side would be happy to be down graded to a small cage. My other problem that I'm worried about is breeding. I don't have the resources or the time to tend to something like that. I'm not sure what is the best action to take right now and was wondering if someone with more experience could give me a bit of advice on what would be the best action to take next.

Thank

Skylar

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I have 3 parakeets and I've had them for about 6 months now. When I got them I was under the assumption that they were separated by gender, but they weren't or it was an accident. Either way when I was looking at them today I realized that one is a girl and the other 2 is a boy. My problem is, is it seems that the 2 boys are starting to fight over the one girl to the point where one drew blood. But I pretty sure that I know which 2 birds have chosen to mate together. I don't want to separate them due to the fact that my whole room is there cage so I don't think either side would be happy to be down graded to a small cage. My other problem that I'm worried about is breeding. I don't have the resources or the time to tend to something like that. I'm not sure what is the best action to take right now and was wondering if someone with more experience could give me a bit of advice on what would be the best action to take next.

Thank

Skylar
@HeatherG @Laurasea @π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
I tagged some people who may have experience or knowledge on this.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie

Thank

Skylar
You NEED to separate them, at least for a while. Seriously, they can kill each other. You could also rehome them, but I personally have a mixed flock without breeding problems, and rarely fighting problems (they never draw blood). I would personally recommend getting another female, if you're up to it and don't want to separate or rehome your birds. Also, make sure they have at least 12hrs of sleep per night, but I'd shoot for 14 in your case.

OP
S

Skylar.s

Jun 5, 2022
Parrots
Also if I get second female is there ways to prevent them from having chicks?

OP
S

Skylar.s

Jun 5, 2022
Parrots
By that do you mean just to have them under the blanket longer to sleep?

OP
S

Skylar.s

Jun 5, 2022
Parrots
At night I cover there cage with a blank before going to sleep.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I agree with the above advice. Either rehome the β€œextra” male or bring in another female and HOPE those two hit it off. (You never know-new female may break up the first couple-but more likely not.). But birds will gang up on an extra bird and kill or hurt it. I might cage extra bird until you have a lady friend for him, add her to his cage and let them bond before everyone is free in your room together.

Reduced daylight hours and no access to anything nesty (LIKE A NEST BOX OR DARK CORNER) will reduce likelihood of breeding. But a desperate bird can be rather resourceful in finding a nesting spot.

Last edited:

Most Reactions