I'm losing my bond with my cockatiel.

Caitlynn

Jun 7, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel and Lovebird
The title is really all it is. Any help would be heavily appreciated. She's almost a year old, I got her when she was a baby from a breeder, so maybe it's her teaching sexual maturity? I don't want to get her a mate because I'm in school and don't want babies.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
The title is really all it is. Any help would be heavily appreciated. She's almost a year old, I got her when she was a baby from a breeder, so maybe it's her teaching sexual maturity? I don't want to get her a mate because I'm in school and don't want babies.
When birds reach sexual maturity sometimes it can cause distance between the said bird and the person. Are you spending the same amount of time with her as you used to?

OP
C

Caitlynn

Jun 7, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel and Lovebird
When birds reach sexual maturity sometimes it can cause distance between the said bird and the person. Are you spending the same amount of time with her as you used to?
I'm going back to school so it's 8 hours in her cage a day, but I spend most of the time she's out with her

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I'm going back to school so it's 8 hours in her cage a day, but I spend most of the time she's out with her
Well, if the time you spend with her is decreasing then distance will form. While you're at school you could give her foraging opportunities while you're gone. Hide bits of millet or seeds, whatever she likes in her toys. Nothing can replace out of cage time for a bird though, try to let her out as much as you can.

Most Reactions

Latest posts