I'm new here but can I see your babies? 🥰

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Sunbeam the Sass Queen :yellow2:
20230130_121231.jpg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Sunbeam the Sass Queen :yellow2:
View attachment 48075
How old is this beautiful budgie? She looks like a recessive pied male like my Charlie, with the pinkish purplish cere, or a double factor dominant pied male. Maybe it's just the photo lighting. My Rocky's cere looks different colors depending on the lighting but Rocky is almost certainly a girl because her cere is more a light whitish blue at four months old.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
How old is this beautiful budgie? She looks like a recessive pied male like my Charlie, with the pinkish purplish cere, or a double factor dominant pied male. Maybe it's just the photo lighting. My Rocky's cere looks different colors depending on the lighting but Rocky is almost certainly a girl because her cere is more a light whitish blue at four months old.
Almost four I think? She is 100% a girl and she's dominant pied :)

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Did you have her tested or did she lay eggs?
Never laid eggs. I've watched her over those four years and seen her cere go through the seasonal changes. In person her cere is tan with light brown patches as she is mildly hormonal.
Her back in October.
20221027_161121.jpg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Never laid eggs. I've watched her over those four years and seen her cere go through the seasonal changes. In person her cere is tan with light brown patches as she is mildly hormonal.
Her back in October.
View attachment 48076
Oh yes I see that! Definitely obvious in this photo with that gorgeous English male! Is she a double factor dominant pied?

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Oh yes I see that! Definitely obvious in this photo with that gorgeous English male! Is she a double factor dominant pied?
TBH haven't actually thought about it, I'd think she's probably just SF though.
Do you ever breed your budgies?
I did a couple of times years ago, but don't now.
I prefer keeping them as pets. Breeding is a whole lot of work, time and money. And I personally struggle to justify adding to the number of budgies in the world (I am not against responsible breeding), among other considerations :)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
TBH haven't actually thought about it, I'd think she's probably just SF though.

I did a couple of times years ago, but don't now.
I prefer keeping them as pets. Breeding is a whole lot of work, time and money. And I personally struggle to justify adding to the number of budgies in the world (I am not against responsible breeding), among other considerations :)
I totally agree. Hand feeding just one budgie from day one was a lot of work. Plus I would have a hard time letting people adopt any of the babies and I currently have eight budgies which is really more than enough.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I totally agree. Hand feeding just one budgie from day one was a lot of work. Plus I would have a hard time letting people adopt any of the babies and I currently have eight budgies which is really more than enough.
One of the other reason I dont anymore, I am sure I couldn't part with them. I didn't handraise any and wouldn't if I bred again (with the exception of babies being abandoned ofc), but raising well socialized parent raised is still just as much work.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
One of the other reason I dont anymore, I am sure I couldn't part with them. I didn't handraise any and wouldn't if I bred again (with the exception of babies being abandoned ofc), but raising well socialized parent raised is still just as much work.
I only hand raised Rocky because his Mother had a medical emergency and couldn't even take care of her eggs much less chicks. Fortunately I had an incubator and Rocky was exceptionally easy to feed, even as a day old hatchling.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I did some hand feeding but mostly I let the parents take care of it.
Still have all 3 and the 2 girls are the friendliest birds in my flock. Always wanting neck scratches.
The boy acts fierce and unfriendly but he never bites hard, it’s just an act.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I did some hand feeding but mostly I let the parents take care of it.
Still have all 3 and the 2 girls are the friendliest birds in my flock. Always wanting neck scratches.
The boy acts fierce and unfriendly but he never bites hard, it’s just an act.
They look so cute all covered with pinfeathers but it must be so itchy! The one in the middle looks like she's pleading for scritches! When Rocky looked like a pincushion I groomed her with a toothbrush.

KingTiel

Jan 27, 2023
Australia
Parrots
White Faced Cockatiel
Meet Snowie, hes my right hand man.

Attachments

• Snow.png
    Snow.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230127_175550.jpg
    20230127_175550.jpg