I'm new! Hoping for some helpful advice :-)

starlabates

Jan 16, 2018
Hi All- So glad I found this site! My name is Starla and I live in Georgia. I have an Eclectus parrot named Romeo, of which has lived in this home for 20 years this year. He is actually my fathers, but my father is truthfully incarcerated. He has lived here since a baby, and my father has been in and out of his life. My Nana has also lived here but she sadly passed in 2016. Romeo is not fond of woman although I have been around him my life, he likes men and of couse loves his dad the most. I am asking for some advice- please help. My dad has several more years of which he will be gone.. I don't spend quality time with Romeo due to him biting and showing aggression towards me. I feed him, water him, do his cleaning of his cage, get him toys, rotate toys, etc etc etc. I am feeling as if he doesn't get the attention he deserves and I don't know what to do. I am scared of him. My boyfriend interacts with him some, he actually doesnt bite my boyfriend or show any aggression. Any tips on what I should do? I have a friend that rescues birds and has many at her home, I call her my bird lady friend- she is phenomenal with them. Would me giving Romeo to her be wrong? She and her husband spend each day with all of theirs and they show each of them attention and actually host shows. I just want Romeo to get the love and affection he needs . Not to mention I work in an ER and I am a full time student as well.:green:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Starla, thanks for sharing Romeo's story! First, I must commend you and all ER staff, regardless of function. You do amazing lifesaving work!!

I believe keeping Romeo in your home is best for you and your Dad. Romeo is an emotional link to your Dad, and my guess is he will wish to be reunited with Romeo. Let us also discuss what is better for Romeo. Quality time is desirable, and he does not currently enjoy this save for your boyfriend. I commend you for realizing this and reaching out for advice.

Before making the decision, I'd suggest trying to develop a closer relationship with Romeo. There are many techniques, this thread may help: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html Keep in mind parrots often choose "their people" and it may not be possible to closely bond. IMO it is worth a try! You are of course quite busy and will have to decide whether you can devote sufficient time.

In the worst case scenario, might it be possible to temporarily place Romeo with your friend, pending our Dad's return? You will have to assess his connection and commitment to Romeo to decide whether this option is reasonable.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
What Scott said!
And good for you, for trying to do the right thing, and for reaching out!
You sound like a wonderful young lady.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome and Thank-you!

Please take the time to read with depth the Eclectus Forum as it will provide you will a solid foundation of knowledge for the loving and caring for Eclectus.

With time and effort near everything is possible.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello Starla and welcome. I’m sorry to hear you’re put into this position.

One thing to understand is that parrots affections can be redirected. If you become the sole caretaker and source of attention for the ekkie, he will ultimately come to like you. I know you’re scared of him. If you can muster up the courage to work with him you will find he should be pretty easily won over in a couple weeks.

I want to share with you a video I made with my ekkie about how to handle aggressive ekkies. The point being that handling an aggressive ekkie isn’t that bad.

When my boy becomes hormonal he can become really aggressive. This video is actually the worst I’ve seen him. He’s not quite this bad. The time of this video I had to keep him in his cage for 3 straight days he was wholly uncontrollable. This video is kind of a worst case scenario, and not totally ideal but it can at least bridge the gap to get you interacting with him.

Key is to train every interaction like a training session. If he’s in the middle of acting up, the millisecond he calms down he gets a treat. Reward calm behavior. KEEP TTAINING TREATS AROUND YOU AT ALL TIMES.

[ame="https://youtu.be/zD8R7zcD9NI"]How to handle a hormonally aggressive eclectus - YouTube[/ame]

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
If you can find a copy of the Companion Parrot Handbook by Sally Blanchard - maybe in a library - she has some very good insights into birds. One thing she says, and I believe it's true, is birds can tell when we are upset. They do see into the ultraviolet, so maybe there is a skin clue? But she swears by taking a moment to breathe, calm herself, and become as tranquil and still as she can on the inside before approaching a feisty bird. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts