hotchickitydog

Jan 30, 2013
I have a 15 year old M2, I got her when she was 9 months old ... she is spoiled and for the past two years, has begun to pluck and self mutilate ... we are trying many things, but she gets better then worse again ...

I am currently wanting to sell her Animal Environments macaw cage, so I can better treat her ... the vet I want to take her to is $300 for visit ... seems stupid but I am at my end of options and can't risk her life.

Anyone want an absolutely perfect AE Macaw cage, let me know. It is in Westminster CA and I have all parts ... it's a welded cage so very very sturdy, but needs two people to move it in and out of a truck ... I am very motivated ... purchased the cage for $2800 and willing to negotiate ! I also have a ring stand but don't know if I can live without it ...

I will be reading EVERYTHING here relating to plucking / mutilation ... but understand this can start at this age ... maturity or something ...

Good to find you all ! Any help is very much appreciated.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
hello.jpg
and welcome to the forum:)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi and welcome
000204AE.gif

I pray someone out there is looking for a cage, in order for you to help your bird.
Have your tried elsewhere to advertise that cage?

OP
H

hotchickitydog

Jan 30, 2013
Thank you ... I have not tried, but found two like mine on ebay, they didn't sell, but look far rougher in condition ...

I love the cage. Absolutely love it, and considered getting another bird for mine to love on ... vice versa, but I can't imagine bringing in ANOTHER one, at this point, financially. I feed her only organic fruits / veggies / etc. and a few nuts and the exp. pellets, of course. Plus, the vet again ... sigh. I also rescued a dog that had pups four days later, and I'm still caring for mom and two of the pups. I need to learn to say, No.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Thank you ... I have not tried, but found two like mine on ebay, they didn't sell, but look far rougher in condition ...

I love the cage. Absolutely love it, and considered getting another bird for mine to love on ... vice versa, but I can't imagine bringing in ANOTHER one, at this point, financially. I feed her only organic fruits / veggies / etc. and a few nuts and the exp. pellets, of course. Plus, the vet again ... sigh. I also rescued a dog that had pups four days later, and I'm still caring for mom and two of the pups. I need to learn to say, No.

Go on other bird sites as well, it is worth a shot. :rolleyes:

That is one reason I do not go into pet shops or bird shows, I want to help each and every bird or animal. I have learnt to say NO:)

:grey:

CoCo1

Jan 15, 2013
Omaha, Ne
Parrots
1 African Grey "JJ" and 1 M2 "Lola" and my 2 yorkies...while not feathered they are still part of my flock!
what changed when she started plucking? did you move her cage, or the furniture? any new additions to the family? change her diet?

OP
H

hotchickitydog

Jan 30, 2013
Yes, actually, CoCo, I moved homes, and her cage in the new home was down at the bottom level of three floors ... it is there that she began plucking and picking skin.

I was also experiencing a break up and that contributed to the condition in the home. Tension, grief ... etc. We moved the cage, into the office area, and she was left out most days, with us, but the damage was done. She has a bad habit now. I have considered Nutricalm and other medicinal options, but a cone is very hard on her as she is fully flighted. Almost from hatch.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Welcome to the forum. I hope you can find the help you need.:)

CoCo1

Jan 15, 2013
Omaha, Ne
Parrots
1 African Grey "JJ" and 1 M2 "Lola" and my 2 yorkies...while not feathered they are still part of my flock!
I don't think I would rush into another fid just yet...unless you have "birdie blues". I had a goffin that was a pretty bad plucker when I took her in- at that time the vet had wanted me to give her a childrens benedryl medicine as opposed to other anxiety meds- I wasn't real comfy with that- so what I did instead was took an old gym sock cut the heel off for her tail feathers and slits in socks for her wings-it kinda looked like a shirt for a bird...but it did stop Sophie from plucking- I never had an issue with her in the 10 years I had her.

OP
H

hotchickitydog

Jan 30, 2013
It seems counterproductive ... I mean, she does seem to need something I can't give her ... so I thought a bird perhaps but ... I just really need to get her well. I am unsure what to try next ... found a male M2 for sale in the area ... but I really don't know if that would be a new set of problems. Noise. Him attacking her ? Making her plucking worse ? I don't know ... but I'm going to study what others have done, and will FOR SURE try the sock. She will likely chew it off, she is just a giant chewer ... had the cone off before I got her home from the vet ...

THANK YOU for the TIP !!

CoCo1

Jan 15, 2013
Omaha, Ne
Parrots
So she is in the office now? and a new home? I am sure you did this, but has she been able to visit all the new areas of her home? Have you tried one of those large shredder toys? maybe sticking a pine nut in between the layers? distraction might help her. Just a thought. I knwo once they start plucking it is very hard to go through- and finding the key is like finding a needle in a haystack at times. Good luck and keep us posted~

OP
H

hotchickitydog

Jan 30, 2013
Hello, yes she has free range. She is fully flighted. So she's monitored. I will get a large shredder toy but she does have boxes to rip apart ... toothbrushes and towels to weave ... distraction is a very good idea ... I'll work to get her more to do. I will continue to work with her and update here. Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
20 year old Congo African grey male
12 year old blue and gold macaw male
2 year old greenwing macaw
male
Breeding pair of rosey bourkes
Breeding pair of cockatiels
Do you have pictures of the ring stand? I might be interested

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I wouldn't add another too, cockatoos are hard birds to care for emotionally and are sensitive, and males are especially unpredictable . Adding another will only add to the problem you already have.

Check out this article, it says that calcium is a natural sedative so adding a pure [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Avian-Calcium-8-Ounce/dp/B0027IZTJA/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359709400&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=zoomed+bird+calcium"]calcium supplement [/ame]might help a little. Be careful of calcium supplements that have extra stuff in it, you can accidentally overdose your bird.

Are you able to wait to take her to a vet until your tax return comes? I'm planning to use mine to get Rosie a full check up once it comes in.

CoCo1

Jan 15, 2013
Omaha, Ne
Parrots
It might be beneficial to add different types of toys for her, I fostered an U2 that about 4-5 months just got bored with the types of toys I gave him. I still gave him toys but I had to find different stimuli for him. now that is a practice I use when I make my toys. The dollar stores are great for ideas. I have large wiffle type balls that break in half- I tie curling ribbon through the holes, and add different goodies inside (a nut, cut up natural coffee filters, braided rope lengths) So maybe look at the types of toys she has now and change the medium that you use to present her toys.

Most Reactions

Latest posts