I’m not sure on the gender of my IRN

frootloopss

Mar 16, 2023
Parrots
Ren (indian ringneck)
Hi! Despite the title this isn’t a normal what’s-the-gender question, it’s kind of odd. For context, in December of 2020 I got a 2 month old IRN, named Ren. When we got Ren, his breeder told us he had already done a DNA test and that he was a male. I had already done my own research and everything was fine. 2 years have passed and he is currently 2 years and 5-ish months old, but he has not grown a ring yet. Due to the fact he hasn’t developed a ring we’re questioning if the DNA test the breeder told us about could’ve been wrong. Ren has not learnt to speak, and this is my first time owning an IRN meaning I cannot visually tell if he’s actually a female. Is it possible the DNA test was wrong and Ren is actually a female, or is he just a lame bloomer? Are there any other possible ways to tell if he is actually a male? I can send pictures of him if needed. :)

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
There's a slim chance the DNA is wrong. Sometimes samples can become contaminated and you get l an incorrect answer.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Is your parrot a normal wildtype green? There are some color mutations where the ring isn't as obvious.

If I'm remembering correctly, most males get their black ring around 18 months old, and the blue+pink rings later. But some can take longer - I've read up to three years for all 3 ring colors to be molted in isn't too uncommon.

I agree that DNA testing of babies can sometimes be mixed up, so that's a possibility too.

As far as encouraging talking, does your bird react videos of other IRN talking? My African ringneck doesn't mimic language and he could care less about talking parrot videos, but my Quaker does mimic language and gets super excited when he sees videos of talking or singing birds, and chatters back in gibberish. So with him, he definitely showed interest early on and he's now started repeating the words I use most like "step up" and "good boy".

Welcome to the forums!

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
DNA can sometimes be wrong. I know of someone who had a DNA'd female Plumhead, once "she" hit maturity "she" got the gorgeous male head colouring.

skunkmonkey

May 7, 2022
Parrots
Rio and Maui both Indian Ringneck
It's possible he will get his ring in year 3 or very rarely year 4. Usually they get them after a year or two though.

OP
F

frootloopss

Mar 16, 2023
Parrots
Ren (indian ringneck)
Is your parrot a normal wildtype green? There are some color mutations where the ring isn't as obvious.

If I'm remembering correctly, most males get their black ring around 18 months old, and the blue+pink rings later. But some can take longer - I've read up to three years for all 3 ring colors to be molted in isn't too uncommon.

I agree that DNA testing of babies can sometimes be mixed up, so that's a possibility too.

As far as encouraging talking, does your bird react videos of other IRN talking? My African ringneck doesn't mimic language and he could care less about talking parrot videos, but my Quaker does mimic language and gets super excited when he sees videos of talking or singing birds, and chatters back in gibberish. So with him, he definitely showed interest early on and he's now started repeating the words I use most like "step up" and "good boy".

Welcome to the forums!
Whenever I show him videos of other IRN talking, he tends to be a bit interested. He tries to mimick sounds as far as I can tell, and when I show him videos he will try to mimick chirping and even makes noises that sound similar to the words. Sometimes when I say “Hello” to him he’ll chirp back, but that’s the extent of his communicating. :)

Also, yes! He is the regular green colouring.

skunkmonkey

May 7, 2022
Parrots
Rio and Maui both Indian Ringneck
Also note that before they reach sexual maturity it's very common for them to display in the mannerisms of both genders, so don't read too much into that. Once they fully mature they tend to stick to their genders normal display mechanism for the most part.

Males spread their wings, and turn their heads from side to side to best display their beauty to their mate.

Females bend down and banana their neck and slightly extend their wings in a submissive posture, showing a readiness to mate.

Most Reactions

Latest posts