I'm sick, the girlies are horny, and Stormy is tired.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So. I'm home from school today, sick. The computer wasn't helping me feel better, so I decided to do a sketch of the birds (which I didn't even start). I take my paper and pencil, go into their room, and the girlies are suddenly super active trying to get my attention. Stormy just looks exhausted and stressed out by the commotion the girlies are causing. So after some head-bobbing (while looking at me very pointedly), and some song singing, Apollo goes to this hanging perch... and humps it. Has anyone else's female bird ever done this? So anyhow, then I decide to try to start sketching. Almost immediately, there are attempts to catch my attention from the girlies. Head bobbing (at me, while staring at me), singing (at me and at the PVC ends on the rope perches), chasing each other off the perch that is closest to me, and just a ton of commotion from the girls. Stormy still looks tired of it.

And I just realized, wow, they are interacting with me! And enjoying it! Without treats as bribery! That's pretty cool. Just something I wanted to share with you guys, feels like a huge step when you have budgies.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
So nice when something good comes out of what would otherwise be a yucky day! :)

Hope you feel better soon πŸ™
It's a great feeling!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My two female cockatiels self stimulate but not like that.
there are hanging toys and they crouch underneath them so the toys brush their back and they make little noises.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
My two female cockatiels self stimulate but not like that.
there are hanging toys and they crouch underneath them so the toys brush their back and they make little noises.
Maybe she's just odder than I thought...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Clearly not the same, but Salty will 'scratch' his head with the edge of his tubular bell, sometimes from underneath it and sometimes he hauls it up to his chain and scratches his chin with it. SO WIERD sometimes! Sorry Stormy is stressed.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Damn, poor Stormy lol. Griffen often violates Snowy by attempting to mate againt her consent(sorry if the word "violate" is too strong but imo that's exactly what it is). I just keep them separated and that usually helps Snow feel less stressed.

Also i hope you feel better soon!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I hope you feel better soon, Ollie!
Also, if you ever do get around to doing that sketch, I would LOVE to see it, since I haven't seen your drawings in FOREVERRRR

I have absolutely seen female birbs hump perches, so you're not alone, lol

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Cossie was being a little bugger today. She threw a huge hissy fit, bit me at least 5 times, and picked a couple fights with Apollo.. She hasn't actually bitten me ("out for blood" style) in a long time. All because I made her share "her" millet and "her" arm. Stormy still looks tired, but I was able to have some one-on-one time with him, doing recall. He looked a bit more perky after that. The birds are trying out the new swing I installed. It's birch, with the bark still on. They love to strip bark. All in all, a pretty interesting day.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm feeling better. Didn't have access to the computer all day though, I logged on and I have 3 assignments due tomorrow. Haven't started any of them. Didn't even know they existed until 5mins ago. I've got to get working.

Most Reactions