Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Got Salty a new sand perch, to replace the concrete one he uses for sleeping. Bigger diameter, but red instead of yellow. Like a dope I did not acclimate him to it, and the first time he saw it was when I went to put him to sleep. Poor baby , he freaked right out and ran up my arm, to hide from it. Swapped it out for the old one, and he went readily to it, and he is soundly sleeping on it now. I felt so bad, cuz I should have known better.

I posted aside from Salty's thread so the scar tissue can be had readily by all.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
How many times have I done similarly???
50??
Salty is a forgiving darling!

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Two days ago I got a new shower perch for Ollie and Finley. It's blue and I forgot Ollie hates blue stuff! He freaked right out flapping and scratching me good as he climbed up my bare body to my shoulder. Ooops. Ouch. I know how you feel...

Last edited:

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
There are parrots messaging each other saying, "How long have I been training this human? Is yours this slow about things?"

Sigh, as least they communicate even if it is in painful ways!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
No worries, Al. At least you know Salty is not colorblind! I am sure all is forgiven and he knows you are the best parront!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
uh-oh, we all have our whoops moments. Looks like Salty needs to step up his training regime!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
It makes me happy to know that you experienced folk make the same silly mistakes I do! ❤️❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
This is the first time he has shown fear of anything. New toys- no problem. Gotta remeber pink is a no-no color.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
You just never know what will freak them out, I guess. Hopefully you remember next time (but if you don't, I'm sure Salty will "remind" you;)).

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I'm right behind you on the "dope" part Al...sometimes I just "forget:rolleyes:" about something so seemingly silly..(to me at least) as a color change.
Amy really doesn't show much fear of anything...unless it's a new perch or toy lol and the poor fid just goes into freak-out mode. BB still has a fear over ball cap's though.

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Being a long time Amazon Snob, with extensive experience with Amazons, many writings regarding Amazons, I have only one thing to say about this!!!

Welcome to the: "I'm such a dope" family!!! The important thing is how quickly you spotted the problem and fixed it!

And, yes, us longtime Parrot folks have been screwing-up for years! And, for those new Parrot folks that should strike fear in the hearts of your sweet Parrots! :D

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Oh yeah, I know Salty's behaviour pretty well, so I knew exactly what he was upset about. Also, I got our dog, Tinker a new soft toy, a floppy little fox, all Salty wanted to do yesterday was kill it, just like he does with TInker. Made Salty nippy until I banished it to the basement. Amazons are so easy to read and understand, everything is right out there, no hidden agenda.

Most Reactions

Latest posts