I'm worried about Apollo

robear1991

Jun 26, 2012
Wellington, OH
Parrots
Apollo: Peach-faced Lovebird
I've had him for less than a week, and he we've made some really good progress on trust. He really likes to cuddle.
I'm worried though, because the temperment of a lovebird is usually energetic and obnoxious, right? He will sit on my shoulder for hours, and burrow in my hair and stay there for hours. Sometimes when I'm online he will fly to the keyboard and start chirping, but usually he's very quiet, and he only flies or flutters about when I try and give him a new treat (That's another thing, I don't know what to treat him with, as he won't try anything)
Tips for me thanks :)

keepsmiling

Jun 21, 2012
A week is very little time to really get to know a bird, just take it slow. All new birds should go to an avian vet for a wellness check, especially since you have some concerns. How old is this bird? What is his diet? A treat could be a small piece of millet, or a piece of organic apple or carrot.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
He is probably just insecure. He needs the cuddling especially if he is young.
I'm sure once he adapts to the new surroundings and to you he will show his true colors. LOL

OP
R

robear1991

Jun 26, 2012
Wellington, OH
Parrots
Apollo: Peach-faced Lovebird
He was born a couple months ago and I got him from a parrot shop in the city. I keep Roudybush pellets in his cage at all times, and he eats those no problem. In the mornings I'll hand-feed him a mixture of pellets, dried corn, peas and green beans. All these I bought from the shop, and that's what they weened him on.
I'll definitely take him to a vet ASAP for a check up. Can I find millet spray at a wal mart or something? I live in the country and there aren't any local pet stores, to my dismay :31:

Most Reactions