hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
(Jen day/Sun conure mix is my best guess for her breed.)

Hey all. I don't know if anyone here will be able to help me and i'm unsure of how to go about researching this issue, but basically my partner and I want out of the USA as soon as feasible, which likely means in about 2 years (maybe more if we don't have the savings built up by then). I've been doing some research in the meantime.

Most of my flock won't be a problem. Cockatiels and lovebirds are solidly un-endangered and are not controlled. Doves are practically farm animals, and not controlled. But my sun, my heart and my stars, my beautiful sunday conure, I'm not sure about.

I rescue exclusively so I don't have hatch records for a single bird. I don't even know for certain she's a sunday.

7A68D114-7A5F-4134-9604-60BCA372E071.jpeg

Does anyone have any idea what the process would be to move her with me to Canada specifically? I can likely procure proof of purchase from the rescue, but they won't have her hatch records.

I can't leave her behind. I would have to stay behind, myself. But my partner would very nearly clobber me if I told her we're not moving because of my bird. I have time but this has been on my mind a lot.

Does anyone have any expertise to share?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Depends on where you are emigrating to. If your going to fly there, start checking the airline for their rules too, which can also be draconian in complexity.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not sure how well traveled you are and what level of knowledge you have regarding life in other Countries. Far too often, individuals find that 'other issues' in the Country you are targeting are contrary to your wants. The vastness of America provides a huge assortment life styles that may fit your wants.

With a need to build a financial base, you are going to find the number of Counties that have an interest in you reduce rapidly as with just enough money to travel, you have better have needed skills that are marketable /needed in that Country.

The more animals you plan to take with you, the more difficulty you will have as most Countries are resistant to accepting individuals with more than a couple of 'Pets'. Farm Animals classifications are rarely accepted unless there are very special requirements for such animals. You will be spending hundreds of dollars per animal on Vet requirements and documentation.

And, as stated by my Good Friend above, where you are going and how you plan to get there really needs to be shared as the requirements change vastly.

Canada, has an ever increasing number of animals that are blocked from import especially Avians of all stripes.

nauticle

Aug 27, 2022
Hi I actually did this with a GCC and Sun from Australia to Canada. They needed a CITIES permit to exit Australia but Canada was actually really easy. They just need a unique tag or chip (had to get the GCC chipped) and a permit from the city you are going to.

First they need a vet clearance from your home country prior to departure then a vet check at immigration in Canada. They are then taken straight to your location where you have to quarantine them for a month with no other birds and away from people. They actually call and inspectors come and make sure there are no issues - after that you are then ok.

I'd start planning at least 6 months in advance and it's worth the extra expense paying for pet movers to help you...but if you can't afford it then you can do all this yourself it just takes time and research.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts