In DIRE need of budgie toys

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
Hello,
I don't mean to sound rude, but my budgies need some toys. ATM, i'm a little tight financially. Life is going on, I'm a student and can't work, And have no time to sell anything. My parents will pay for a vet bill if my babies are about to die or something, but they won't spend money on toys. They have been so gracious in the past (bought my budgies a $800 cage) And have had enough of it now.

Please, if you have even toys your budgies didn't like, PLEASE shoot me a PM!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Interesting, one of the best places to buy Parrot /bird toys is in the baby sections of near any store. The vast majority are bird safe as they are baby safe. Some attention needs to be places with bits on soft toys that a beak can cut-off, but near everything else is fair game!

What if the bird doesn't have any interest? Well near everyone knows someone that has a baby and they make a wonderful re-gift!! All you have to do is wash them well and send them on their way. Either way you remain a hero!!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Hello,
I don't mean to sound rude, but my budgies need some toys. ATM, i'm a little tight financially. Life is going on, I'm a student and can't work, And have no time to sell anything. My parents will pay for a vet bill if my babies are about to die or something, but they won't spend money on toys. They have been so gracious in the past (bought my budgies a $800 cage) And have had enough of it now.

I can probably send you some unloved toys. If it's summer where you live, see if you can get some birch branches or some other branches with easy to peel bark. They love peeling bark. If you have some money saved up, you could probably get some toys.

With my little guys, they like foraging bins and foraging toys, which you can make with simple household items. They also like stripping bark, sometimes they'll hang upside down while stripping bark too. Other than that, they shred kababs but not much. The interaction and training is what really enriches their lives, so make sure your birds get enough of that.

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
I've never hurt my birds or forced them to step up or anything. They are terrified of me, I can't train them. I will look for some birch branches. If you have unloved toys anytime, just PM me please! I really don't mean to sound needy, but I am running out of options :confused:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello,

Hello,

It's so easy to make your own Budgie toys! String Cheerios on a piece of twine or coated wire like bread bag ties. Plastic soda pop lids make great toys. Anything in a box of hardware fasteners like washers, screws, nuts and bolts. Old socks are fun to play with. Beaded necklaces are a big hit. My. Budgie Rocky thinks EVERYTHING is a bird toy! Hair barrettes, coins, old chewed up perches, and anything that resembles a ball including wadded up pieces of paper! Chunks of raw vegetables like carrots, green beans and broccoli make terrific healthy edible budgie toys! Just look around you- you are surrounded by potential safe bird toys. Of course you should supervise your Budgie's play time with objects you aren't sure you can trust are safe for him to play with until you're sure, and everything should be clean, free from soap residue and paint that may be harmful. Since budgie beaks aren't as powerful as larger parrots you don't need to worry as much about destroying and swallowing pieces but chose clean items reasonably carefully.

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
aside from tp rolls they love straws to play with- I cut mine in half. Now i dont have budgies but I have in the past. I also go to the dollar store and look in toys and baby toys, You would be surprised! I bought a dollie bathtub and some furniture and rings and beads I put on a wire- They played with that stuff for hours! Good luckhun I know times are hard for everyone right now- I think theree is a lady here who makes care packages of toys for free, check the boards!!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's so easy to make your own Budgie toys! String Cheerios on a piece of twine or coated wire like bread bag ties. Plastic soda pop lids make great toys. Anything in a box of hardware fasteners like washers, screws, nuts and bolts. Old socks are fun to play with. Beaded necklaces are a big hit. My. Budgie Rocky thinks EVERYTHING is a bird toy! Hair barrettes, coins, old chewed up perches, and anything that resembles a ball including wadded up pieces of paper! Chunks of raw vegetables like carrots, green beans and broccoli make terrific healthy edible budgie toys! Just look around you- you are surrounded by potential safe bird toys. Of course you should supervise your Budgie's play time with objects you aren't sure you can trust are safe for him to play with until you're sure, and everything should be clean, free from soap residue and paint that may be harmful. Since budgie beaks aren't as powerful as larger parrots you don't need to worry as much about destroying and swallowing pieces but chose clean items reasonably carefully.
Also go to yard sales and garage sales for babies like wood blocks, teething rings, bath toys, etc. For $5 for can probably get a whole bag of stuff. Also ask your parents if they have any nuts bolts and washers. Budgies will play with anything! Cubes of stale bread are a big hit too. String them using a piece of yarn or twine.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
If anyone decides to use any hardware like nuts, bolts, etc., please keep in mind that they have to be nickel plated or stainless steel so that the birds won't get heavy metal poisoning. This also goes for any metal quick links/clips used for hanging toys up.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Wooden popsicle sticks that have been cleaned, paper towel rolls, toilet paper rolls, tissue paper, and paper confetti are all extremely cheap or free items that you could use to make some bird toys. There are several videos on how to make cheap bird toys on YouTube.

Most Reactions

Latest posts