In Need of Advice

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Fernando: Greenwing Macaw
HELP!! In Need of Advice

We're all familiar with this story: Person sees bird, person likes bird, person brings home bird, bird bonds with someone else and the rest is history. But never in a million years did I think it could happen to me.

A little over a month ago, my family welcomed Fernando, a 28 year old GW macaw, home. Fernando was surrended to the parrot rescue I work at a couple years after his owner died. He was deeply depressed, refused to leave his cage, and even stopped talking.

Fastforward to present time: Fernando is a goofy, fun-loving nutcase with an amazing personality. But there's just one problem. One big, very painful problem. It appears that my mom favors his deceased owner quite well, and I believe this has caused Fernando to become bonded with her. That's great and all, but whenever I or my dad are near my mom, he goes on the attack. Literally. I know that most of the big macaws have a tendency to lunge, but I have found out the hard way that when Fernando runs towards me with his head down low and his beak out, he's not just lunging.

When Fernando bites, it's almost as if he bites to inflict pain (he does a good job at it I'll give him that). And I will admit, after being bitten multiple times by him, once which I almost needed stitches, I am fearful of that beak, which- I know- plays into the vicious cycle. I love Fernando, he's like my little goofy doofus, but I do not love his biting. I will not give up on him, but I feel defeated, almost as if I failed. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Cycletim

Mar 22, 2020
Ventura, California
Parrots
Jasper Congo African Grey,
Grover Red bellied parrot RIP 10/20,
Red bellied parrot Rheya
Hang in there its only been a month. My family and I have learned from this great forum. One month is a drop in the bucket to a bird that lives a long time. Be patient, go at his pace. He spent a looong time somewhere else. Our 18 year old grey had issues when we got him and we were very concerned. Now it has been 5 months and he is totally different than he was. He's great, funny and loves us very much. He's a laugh a minute. It just takes time. He plucked a bit and had hormonal issues, all those issues are gone, having learned so much from these forums. I'd say in our case besides getting a ton of attention, New toys and foraging have been great allies when we are home and away. Good luck.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yes- you are rushing. A bird can bond with a new person when they leave the old one but it is going to take a long time and you need to build trust rather than pushing him to do things that stress him out.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Thank you for adopting him. :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Fernando: Greenwing Macaw
I plan on reading most of Birdman's posts religiously. (Seriously, I think that guy is just two macaws in a trench coat). Honestly I didn't even know bite pressure training was a thing until now! I think my biggest challenge will be reprogramming my brain into thinking "The beak is a tool, not a weapon." It's funny: that's one of the first things I tell people about macaws, now if I could just practice what I preach.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I plan on reading most of Birdman's posts religiously. (Seriously, I think that guy is just two macaws in a trench coat). Honestly I didn't even know bite pressure training was a thing until now! I think my biggest challenge will be reprogramming my brain into thinking "The beak is a tool, not a weapon." It's funny: that's one of the first things I tell people about macaws, now if I could just practice what I preach.

I'll share a humorous story about my green wing "Rocky." His former parronts delivered him + cage to my home. Once out of the travel cage, he ran to me with head low, beak open, and gave a gentle bite to my ankle. First and last time he ever bit meaningfully.

Most Reactions

Latest posts