In Search of: Replacement Cage Base & Tray

herbwx

Jan 3, 2020
Maryland
Parrots
50+ years with parakeet experience and last 10 years with parrotlets. Currently have parrotlet born approx 2010.
Hi all. New member here. I briefly searched the forum under "base" and "cage base" before posting this, so apologies if this has already been addressed.

I'm searching for ideas and suggestions. I have a Pacific Parrotlet and was using a cage measuring approx 17-1/4" x 17-3/4" (so, it used 17" perches). I got the cage for free many years ago but unfortunately the plastic base and slide-in tray recently became unusable. So I kept the metal (top) "cage" portion. I have no idea what the cage brand name is.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to possibly get or find a replacement base and slide-in tray. I know it's a BIG long-shot and I can throw away the metal "cage" part -- it just seems like a waste to do so.

I've included two pictures. One shows the cage upside down so that you can see the metal "loops" at the base/bottom that latched-in to the plastic base in order to hold the metal "cage" part firmly in place when attached to the plastic cage base. The other picture is just the front of the cage with the door opened (unfortunately, this pic got posted sideways and needs to be rotated 90 degrees to the right).

So, any suggestions will be appreciated. Otherwise, I'll either donate it or throw it away.

Attachments

• cage-upsidedown.jpg
    cage-upsidedown.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 162
  • cagefront.jpg
    cagefront.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 115

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
O'kay. Are you a do-it-yoursefer ? If so do you remember the old cage base tray ? Could you build one of wood and not put a drawer in it but just newspaper ? If NO to these, I would get a new complete cage. jh

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Can you find the manufacturer and see if they will replace the bottom? You could maybe custom cut a bit of acrylic to fit?

Last edited:
OP
H

herbwx

Jan 3, 2020
Maryland
Parrots
50+ years with parakeet experience and last 10 years with parrotlets. Currently have parrotlet born approx 2010.
O'kay. Are you a do-it-yoursefer ? If so do you remember the old cage base tray ? Could you build one of wood and not put a drawer in it but just newspaper ? If NO to these, I would get a new complete cage. jh
Thanx. Yes, I was contemplating trying to build something but wanted to get some input from others in case someone knows more about cage replacements than I do. I do have another cage I am currently using. Just trying to figure out what to do with the old cage --if anything.

OP
H

herbwx

Jan 3, 2020
Maryland
Parrots
Can you find the manufacturer and see if they will replace the bottom? You could maybe custom cut a bit of acrylic to fit?
Thanx. I do not know who is the manufacturer. Wish I did know as that might simplify things. I may try to build something if no other decent options.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I'm guessing that your cage had a plastic base and the cage part had tabs that snapped into it.

I don't know your financial situation but personally I would not build a base unless I could use a material that would not absorb the waste and could be easily cleaned.

Perhaps screw it down to a scrap piece of solid surface counter top or a piece of plywood covered with a scrap piece of laminate. Many big box stores and cabinet shops sell scrap for cheap.

But unless you're going to make a tray it will be a pain to clean.

Personally I would just buy a new cage.

Most Reactions