Ingested rust?

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
So my one bird had a bit off rust on her veggiebowl, its on the things that Holds the bowl on the cage. And it looked like she ingested it i dont know, is it dangerous to ingest rust?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
yes it is, get your bird to a vet and tested for heavy metal poisoning.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Rust is that part of steel (iron) that become exposed to oxygen. Depending on the chemical mix of steel /iron it is not commonly listed as a heavy metal. Most steel rod does not include chemicals that are classified as heavy metal, unless, it is coated to prevent rusting, like chroming or zinc coating. Those two processes are dangerous and represent a clear hazard. Unless you know that the items are not chromed or zinc coated, you should have your Parrot tested.

NOTE: Remember to take the bowl holder with you for them to identify the surface treatment of the part.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I was thinking that LICKED iron rust may not be dangerous as iron rust is in our bodies already. But I also guess that a big lump of rusty iron in a bird crop or gizzard would not be good. (That would show up on xray.)

There are binding drugs that can be fed to an animal or person to prevent the body from taking in the metal. Big pieces could be removed from the crop or gizzard. I know this is done with ingestion of lead weights or pellets from animal carcasses (think raptors or bald eagles).

I hope your bird is ok. I would not assume that he is in danger, but it is good to get it checked out.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Sh
I was thinking that LICKED iron rust may not be dangerous as iron rust is in our bodies already. But I also guess that a big lump of rusty iron in a bird crop or gizzard would not be good. (That would show up on xray.)

There are binding drugs that can be fed to an animal or person to prevent the body from taking in the metal. Big pieces could be removed from the crop or gizzard. I know this is done with ingestion of lead weights or pellets from animal carcasses (think raptors or bald eagles).

I hope your bird is ok. I would not assume that he is in danger, but it is good to get it checked out.
She is fine, when i saw her bitning the rust she rubbed her beak on a perch and chewed on a toy. I was a little worried that she ingested it but i will buy some new bowls that are new!!

Most Reactions