Inherited Lovebirds- bad habits- live in nesting boxes and only eat seed

JodiePH

Oct 22, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
So background…I inherited 4 lovebirds, 2 bonded and 2 not.. they have never been handled, very nervous and live in nesting boxes inside the aviary.. one male who I call Baldy has a bare chest and under wing/ rear area has no feathers.. he’s always been like that I’m told… anyway he had a “wife” in the first nesting box and a “girlfriend” in the next nesting box haha.. he had a baby with his girlfriend in the middle nesting box And when his wife died he moved in with the girlfriend - they’ve now had the third baby .. they have moved from the middle box to box one - cleared it our completely and refilled with straw etc.. quite fascinating!!

My question is how do you take the nesting boxes away if they’ve always had them? I don’t want more babies and Inbreeding but they are so comfortable in there and when I peek in they look so cute cuddled up in the boxes.

I have a smalll aviary it’s about 1200 x 600 so looking for something a little bigger - then can put more branches, tree, foliage?

They’ve also only ever had seed no pellets.. they do love their veg and grass though so that’s something

Thank you for reading!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would remove one box once they’ve moved out of it and don’t have any eggs or chicks inside. And remove during the day so you’re sure no one is sleeping inside the box.

Most Reactions