inherited macaw who bites

madmax

Feb 7, 2023
Parrots
Macaw
Hi there,

First time poster and first time parrot owner. I have recently found out I am about to inherit a macaw from an aging family member. She has had this bird for 20 years and while I rarely see her, every single time I have she is sporting a significant bite wound or two on her arms. Bruising, deep cuts, etc. Definitely beyond a little overenthustiatic nipping. This bird has been like her child - she takes him everywhere, has her house and yard set up for him, interacts with him in a very positive fashion and knows him and his mannerisms very well. The bites do not seem to be fear motivated at all. According to her he bites when he "doesn't get his way."

I will be the best caregiver I possibly can, but obviously would very much like for this behavior trait not to continue. I've been reading and a lot of what I see is about fear based biting. What about if the bird has just been a wee bit of a bossy brat for 20 years? Lol. All tips, tricks, and thoughts are very welcome. Thank you!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi there,

First time poster and first time parrot owner. I have recently found out I am about to inherit a macaw from an aging family member. She has had this bird for 20 years and while I rarely see her, every single time I have she is sporting a significant bite wound or two on her arms. Bruising, deep cuts, etc. Definitely beyond a little overenthustiatic nipping. This bird has been like her child - she takes him everywhere, has her house and yard set up for him, interacts with him in a very positive fashion and knows him and his mannerisms very well. The bites do not seem to be fear motivated at all. According to her he bites when he "doesn't get his way."

I will be the best caregiver I possibly can, but obviously would very much like for this behavior trait not to continue. I've been reading and a lot of what I see is about fear based biting. What about if the bird has just been a wee bit of a bossy brat for 20 years? Lol. All tips, tricks, and thoughts are very welcome. Thank you!
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you so much for being willing to take him in!
I would start at the beginning with him. This will give you both time to get to know each other, and as you work with him you can teach him that biting to get his way isn't acceptable. I'm assuming that when she told him no that he would bite her, and she would give in. He has learned that biting = yes.
Starting over in a new home is a perfect time to teach him new behaviours.

This thread has a lot of wonderful info in it:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

I'm so happy you joined us and am looking forward to hearing about your journey with your new friend when he joins your family.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Boy, do I feel for you.
Or at least I will after you have suffered a few bites from your new Macaw.

Thank you and bless you for taking on this bird. It must be such peace of mind for your friend. I know I dread the day that situation is thrust upon me.

I have a Blue and Gold Macaw that sounds similar. He is just a brat. A bitey nasty brat. He will even fake you out by pretending he wants to step up or signals you for a scritch and then bite and giggle about it.

Unfortunately I think I made just about every mistake with him when it comes to the biting. I have a low pain threshold and his bite freakin' hurts!! I can see by his eyes that if he ever got ahold of any of my facial appendages he would not let go.
Anyway, my poor behavioral responses were Max's cue to bond with my partner. He still gets pinched and bit but he's dumb and doesn't seam to mind it. So I have to be satisfied as his caretaker and I do everything I can to avoid rewarding him by getting bit.

I don't have much to offer cause I dont want to steer you wrong, but I do think you need to stay on top of this bad behavior and figure out how to nip it in the bud. lololol

I think this site is the best place to learn everything you need to learn about life with your new companion.

Someone will be on soon and direct you to the right posts.

OP
M

madmax

Feb 7, 2023
Parrots
Macaw
Boy, do I feel for you.
Or at least I will after you have suffered a few bites from your new Macaw.

Thank you and bless you for taking on this bird. It must be such peace of mind for your friend. I know I dread the day that situation is thrust upon me.

I have a Blue and Gold Macaw that sounds similar. He is just a brat. A bitey nasty brat. He will even fake you out by pretending he wants to step up or signals you for a scritch and then bite and giggle about it.

Unfortunately I think I made just about every mistake with him when it comes to the biting. I have a low pain threshold and his bite freakin' hurts!! I can see by his eyes that if he ever got ahold of any of my facial appendages he would not let go.
Anyway, my poor behavioral responses were Max's cue to bond with my partner. He still gets pinched and bit but he's dumb and doesn't seam to mind it. So I have to be satisfied as his caretaker and I do everything I can to avoid rewarding him by getting bit.

I don't have much to offer cause I dont want to steer you wrong, but I do think you need to stay on top of this bad behavior and figure out how to nip it in the bud. lololol

I think this site is the best place to learn everything you need to learn about life with your new companion.

Someone will be on soon and direct you to the right posts.
Hahaha I appreciate the candor...it is definitely going to be a learning experience for both of us. Hopefully without bloodshed (mine) 🤞

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Mac's like to play their size in their favor, especially the size of their bill!!

Search the Parrot Forums vast history looking for Threads and Posts by BIRDMAN666. His insights on working with Mac's are some of the best I have seen to day!

As noted above, Mac's will take advantage of their size and Humans commonly relent, i.e. the Mac wins, well in their mind.

NOTE: Mac's Love attention!! And whether that is positive of negative does not matter as they see it as attentions or at the very least a reaction! Stating NO! clearly and turning away shuts-down their reward system. Understand that Parrots have a very short memory and within a couple of minutes you can turn back and begin again. Any longer periods do not help, and commonly only makes things worst.

Much more, but understand that you can turn this bitter in to a lover, it just takes consistent effect on your part.

Understand, that this Mac, may see you as the mean person that took away the Love of His Life! So, lots of poor baby, from your side as he as just lost a very important partner and you need to develop a, not me sweet heart, but I will care for you cause I love you'isms.

Last edited:

Most Reactions