Injured bird possible dropping wing/limp

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Kakariki, Red Rumps
Hi, yesterday evening I found one of my birds injured, I think there was a fight. He didn't fly away when I went to pick him up and tried to hop but one leg seemed to hurt him. I separated him, he is in a small travel cage now. Eating a bit but quiet, not a sound from him, he is definitely shook but made it through the night and today so I'm taking that as a positiv I have noticed that one wing is hanging down slightly. I spoke to an avian nurse this evening who said he may need some anti inflammatories but they are 4 hours away so going to our "regular" vet in morning who I have also spoken too as she said they would be able to do this. I think I'm posting for reassurance that if he did damage a wing or has taken a knock to the side is this something that he can recover from?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Bird muscles are not unlike human muscles in that they can become strained, torn, or otherwise compromised. If thereā€™s no obvious wound the vet will likely check to make sure nothing is broken. Itā€™s definitely possible that thereā€™s just some inflammation of a joint or muscle though!

Iā€™m sorry to hear your little feathered friends had a spat at all. How long have they been housed together?

OP
C
Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Kakariki, Red Rumps
Bird muscles are not unlike human muscles in that they can become strained, torn, or otherwise compromised. If thereā€™s no obvious wound the vet will likely check to make sure nothing is broken. Itā€™s definitely possible that thereā€™s just some inflammation of a joint or muscle though!

Iā€™m sorry to hear your little feathered friends had a spat at all. How long have they been housed together?
Hi, I introduced a new bird to the aviary and I think it may have been her but can't be sure. Cookie is better today, our regular vet checked him out, his wings seem fine thinks he is badly bruised. Had a sot if anti inflammatories and gets another tomorrow but he is definitely improving! The vet advised putting him back in to the aviary in his "hospital " cage. Tomorrow we are having a bit of a swap around, I've bought a lovely very large cage and the (possible) culprits are moving in there on their own! We are getting two new red rumps and they will be in the aviary with the Kaks, plenty of room and a fresh start!!! Thank you for your advice. I'm so relieved he is on the mend!

Most Reactions

Latest posts