Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
This poor dove got attacked by a dog. I am in contact with an avian vet, and will bring the bird to her tomorrow morning as she has a lot of experience with rehabilitating birds. Please keep him/her in your thoughts and prayers
20221016_183656.jpg

20221016_183641.jpg

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
The vet advised that I don't feed her because she may get sour crop(vet will feed it herself)and suggested I give her some honey water(warm water with some honey) because her blood sugar may drop.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
True. I have maintained birds on sugar water too. I don’t know if it matters as long as the honey is pasteurized and if you buy in store it probably is.

Thank you for helping this bird!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
True. I have maintained birds on sugar water too. I don’t know if it matters as long as the honey is pasteurized and if you buy in store it probably is.

Thank you for helping this bird!
I think the honey is pasteurized. Not sure as it's natural honey I think.

I really hope the bird makes it, but I have to prepare myself for the worst :( the poor thing has some wounds on it. I pray it'll be ok.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If it has actual bites, it may be touch and go. Bites are so dangerous for birds.

Take care.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Yes, it was an actual bite. When I had to pick up the bird to add a heat source in the box, I felt something sticky under his wing. It was likely blood. Poor thing. I can also see some wounds.

I was told the dog has killed two other birds before, and luckily this one was still alive.

What can I say, it's natural for dogs to do this.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yes, it is. This happens to many baby birds. Thank you for helping this dove! They are so sweet.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Can you ask the vet about cleaning the wounds with saline solution and betadine ? I've clean Anne's ankle with saline solution and betadine (Dr. Orosz approval/sudgestion)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Can you ask the vet about cleaning the wounds with saline solution and betadine ? I've clean Anne's ankle with saline solution and betadine (Dr. Orosz approval/sudgestion)
The vet hasn't said anything about the wounds, but said we should bring her asap.
She is seeing the vet in a few min.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
She's feisty! Not scared to defend herself. I didn't expect her to make it but she did.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
She's feisty! Not scared to defend herself. I didn't expect her to make it but she did.
Aww, poor birdie that injury is real bad😢, I will pray for her and don't forget to update us.

Most Reactions

Latest posts