Injured Foot or Broke?

Cupcake1818

Dec 29, 2022
I went to file down my I.R. toe nails and I tried to straighten the feet out because they automatically contract their feet and I think I overextended it and now he puts his foot up and does not want you perch on it. Will it heal?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Sorry to hear of this!

If he doesn’t start using it again in the next day or so, I would recommend an avian vet visit and would also recommend taking him to the vet for nail trims, to avoid this happening again.
Could you post a picture of his foot? Will he move for a treat and put weight on the foot?

OP
C

Cupcake1818

Dec 29, 2022
He will stand on it but cannot bend it. It is just sticking out straight. Cannot afford to go to the vet, I am not employed.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
We cannot give you much of any help. We are not vets and we cannot diagnose your birds condition with just a picture. You would need an xray.

OP
C

Cupcake1818

Dec 29, 2022
Sorry to hear of this!

If he doesn’t start using it again in the next day or so, I would recommend an avian vet visit and would also recommend taking him to the vet for nail trims, to avoid this happening again.
Could you post a picture of his foot? Will he move for a treat and put weight on the foot?

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
My IRN came with a straight toe, it looks like it had been overextended. It will not bend back. I've tried a few times when he's standing on my finger to coax it to wrap around and while it will bend slightly it is forever overextended. Maybe if it's set back into place early enough it will heal to a more natural position.

Most Reactions

Latest posts