Injured toe, splinted and bandaged

jeninec11769

Nov 8, 2021
california
Parrots
Paulie and Phoebe GCC
Hello all!

I am new to this forum and am posting to see if any others have any experience or have gone through a similar thing with their birbies.
It is a long read here we go! ...

About a month ago in the first week of Oct, my baby Paulie injured his small back facing toe. We are not sure how or what happened. We are thinking he somehow he might have landed incorrectly or might have stepped wrong. Not completely sure.

We noticed he was starting to favor one foot. So in between that, we noticed he started to nibble above his nail bed on the small back toe, We took him to the vet asap.
The vet cleaned his toe-up, and placed a bandage on his foot, and also a cone so he would not be tempted to bite at the bandage.

2nd-week appt check-up, the vet said his toe bleeding stopped and he should be without a bandage for it to heal with some air and heal up to start drying out and a scab will eventually come off.

3rd-week, Now without a bandage, we noticed his toe was going the opposite way did not look normal to us so we mentioned it to the vet. She noticed and did say the issue was definitely going to be the toe, she said we had the option of getting Xrays but she did not recommend, because he is a small bird and the likely ness of being able to see a broken bone in his tiny feet would not be too great. Plus needing to put him under Anastasia for not being able to see would be too much on Paulie. So she sees the issue is in fact in his toe, the problem would be that he could have fractured one of his tiny tiny bones or dislocated his toe.

4th-week, So she recommended he bandage/ splint the foot again. She did a bandage and this week's check-up we were so happy his progress was looking good while at the vet under her watch it looked good! The toe was not bending in the wrong direction. So we ended up getting sent home without a bandage and without a cone collar! YEY! About halfway home, I noticed him bending the wrong way again, and he was starting to favor foot.
So I called her back asap and she said to come back and suggested we bandage again, if not the weeks of already bandaging would be a waste.

So this will be his technically 3rd week in a bandage. I am just curious as to if their little feet' bones eventually heal?

He is using a collar cone and well, gets tired and annoyed, But if it is eventually going to do better for him we will have to wait a few more weeks with bandaging and managing life with a collar.

Just a worried mama. The vet says it's hard to tell since his bones are so tiny, we just have to play by ear and do the best we can with this kind of injury. He does still have movement so we are hoping that he just needs time to heal fully. Also he is eating and drinking as normal, so def makes us happy he is still healthy. Only concern and question, do lil toe bones eventually heal and go back to more "normal"?

Just curious if anyone maybe has gone through something similar Thank you!!! :)

Attachments

• 2021-11-11 14.15.12.jpg
    2021-11-11 14.15.12.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 2021-11-11 14.15.45.jpg
    2021-11-11 14.15.45.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 103

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Oh, some one told me that her bird got a leg injury that healed in 3 weeks.

Her words were....

broken leg
Antibiotics
Pain killer
No perch
Confined movement to a small box,
3 weeks back to normal
Still walking well today

Hope this helps

OP
jeninec11769

jeninec11769

Nov 8, 2021
california
Parrots
Paulie and Phoebe GCC
Oh, some one told me that her bird got a leg injury that healed in 3 weeks.

Her words were....

broken leg
Antibiotics
Pain killer
No perch
Confined movement to a small box,
3 weeks back to normal
Still walking well today

Hope this helps
Thank you for the response that def gives me hope!
Yes he was on antibiotics the first week and is still on pain meds now.
He is in a new “room” (clear container) comfy floor bedding, no perches. And has not been in his cage since the injury as I am to scared for him to further hurt himself. And He can not walk freely as normal since he has a cone and bandage so cage would def not be safe.

Most Reactions