Senegals
Red Bellied
Moustache Parakeets
Green Cheek Conure Mutations
Peachface Lovebirds
Scarlet Chested Parakeet
Painted Conures
Military Macaw
That's a great article, Peta. Thanks for posting it.

I agree so much with what it had to say. So many birds are forgotten or not given the opportunity to have quality lives in their cages that many resort to these behaviors as a last resort. It's very sad.
One of the "types" of birds that I feel suffer the most are breeding birds. Many breeders keep the cages free of any type of toys that would provide entertainment or stimuli. They feel that their primary reason is to produce and these objects would slow that process down if not prevent it.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Breeders that are content and have enriched lives produce more effectively than those that are kept in sterile environments void of anything.

Michael

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
That is a very interesting article. I agree with what you said also Michael. I have had many 'pluckers' come in that were a product of abuse, neglect, or just plain stupidity. There was never a plucker to leave my shelter. Given a good diet, toys to amuse them, clean large cages and personal interaction and stimuli, they all stopped the plucking and regrew feathers where they still had the ability to do so. Too many birds are only given what they need to survive and not given what they need to thrive. That makes a world of difference.

Most Reactions

Latest posts