International Travel with conure

Mm6393

Jun 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Parrots
Sun Conure
GCC
4 beautiful budgies
Hi! So I recently adopted a 4-month old Green cheek conure named Mango. He belonged to my friend but she couldn't take care of him so I took him in. The problem is, I need to travel to Jordan for 4 months and I want to take him with me. I booked for the 16th of August which is a little over 2 weeks away. I have heard many people say that I need a permit to travel internationally with him but I'm not sure. Will a health certificate from the vet be enough to take him with me overseas? If I can't take him with me then I will have to postpone my trip. Can anyone give me some advice?

I live in Michigan, btw.
Thank you!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hi! So I recently adopted a 4-month old Green cheek conure named Mango. He belonged to my friend but she couldn't take care of him so I took him in. The problem is, I need to travel to Jordan for 4 months and I want to take him with me. I booked for the 16th of August which is a little over 2 weeks away. I have heard many people say that I need a permit to travel internationally with him but I'm not sure. Will a health certificate from the vet be enough to take him with me overseas? If I can't take him with me then I will have to postpone my trip. Can anyone give me some advice?

I live in Michigan, btw.
Thank you!

Hmmm, Advise, do not think you are going to like what you are going to hear! You waited to long! There is a slight chance, but you have a ton to do and will need to pay the long dollar to get what is needed!

First - You need to contact Jordan to see if they will even allow you to bring your Parrot!
Second - You will need to have a Certificate of Health from a CERTIFIED AVIAN VET (CAV). At the last count, there is maybe three, more likely two in the State of Michigan! They need to run a full blood panel and will have to do in in house because of the short time line!
Third - You need to contact the Airlines to obtain all the information you need for shipping you're Parrot Internationally. FYI: Summer Temperatures in Detroit (your likely Airport or Grand Rapids as a second Airport) this Summer has exceed temperatures that Animals are allow on the Field. In addition, unless you have a direct flight from Michigan (not very likely) the East Coast Airports have also had like issues. To add to this unless you are landing in Jordon at night or very early morning, they have much higher temperatures.
Forth - There is both Jordon and USA paperwork that you need to obtain and complete.
Fifth - You need to know what the Airlines and international agreements are in allowing a cut fruit in the cage to provide liquid for your Parrot during flight that could becomes 12+ hours.
Six - Your Parrot requires Birth Paperwork and a written (provable) ownership trail since it birth (on or after, 2 January 2017). Breeder, Pet Store, Your Friend and than you! Receipts at each point would be better. Short that, a document created by the Breeder and added to at each point since. I am not sure whether Jordan requires it, but all of Europe does!

Returning to the USA.
This requires everything listed above, but in reverse! I have no knowledge whether Jordan has a Certified Avian Vet. Your USA paperwork is commonly only good for 30 days.

NOTE: Your return will be at the height of the Fall Migration. If Bird Flu expanses in Europe as it did last Fall or become worst, you will not be allow to leave with your Parrot as the US will likely block birds from flying. At this point, it is to early to tell what may happen. The hope is nothing.

You say you have a couple of weeks, well you better get busy!!!

Last edited:
OP
M

Mm6393

Jun 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Parrots
Sun Conure
GCC
4 beautiful budgies
Thank you so much. I'll just cancel my flight either until I have all the documents or until I can find a trusted person who will look after mango for me. The reason why I waited until now is because I just adopted him 4 days ago

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you so much. I'll just cancel my flight either until I have all the documents or until I can find a trusted person who will look after mango for me. The reason why I waited until now is because I just adopted him 4 days ago

Good choice, You need a minimum 30 days of ownership before a CAV will likely even provide a Travel Statement of Health.

Avian Vets in Michigan: One on the far East side of Grand Rapids and one possibly two on the East side of the State.

I would begin tracking Avian Flu out-breaks in Europe and any current Hot Spots in Europe every two weeks!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Yes there's a lot to do so I think it's right not to bother. Not only that it's going to be upsetting for him to go through all that so quickly.

I'd say when you take Mango for a check-up at the vet see if they do parrot boarding, you couldn't have a better place to care for a parrot

Most Reactions