Introduce myself

Elchippo

Apr 29, 2020
Between Bangor and Rossendale
Parrots
2 blue fronted amazons Ava almost 5yo female & Roco just turned 4 male
Big Hi to ALL on the forum,

My name is Andy and my partner is Pauline (Polly) we have two lovely blue fronted amazons Ava & Roco aged 5 & 4.

Today we noticed that Ava has laid her first egg which was a surprise as we looked into the nesting box, although they have been very friendly lately.

Would anyone know what we should be doing if anything, as we find it important that Ava should be feeding any young ones with the correct type of food, we would appreciate any help, they have their amazon seed mix, fruit, nuts, veg and what they clean up from our meals.

I would be grateful for any information for us to be doing what we should be doing.

Kind Regards

Andy & Polly...

:green::green:

Last edited:

Anjelicahyde

May 13, 2020
UK
Parrots
African Grey
Big Hi to ALL on the forum,

My name is Andy and my partner is Pauline (Polly) we have two lovely blue fronted amazons Ava & Roco aged 5 & 4.

Today we noticed that Ava has laid her first egg which was a surprise as we looked into the nesting box, although they have been very friendly lately.

Would anyone know what we should be doing if anything, as we find it important that Ava should be feeding any young ones with the correct type of food, we would appreciate any help, they have their amazon seed mix, fruit, nuts, veg and what they clean up from our meals.

I would be grateful for any information for us to be doing what we should be doing.

Kind Regards

Andy & Polly...

:green::green:

Hi Andy & Polly,

Huge welcome to you, I'm new here too :)

I can't help with your question but I am sure there are plenty here that can :)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hello Andy, Polly, and family. Welcome to the forums! We're glad you're here. Lots of great folks around, happy to help and answer questions.

I think the first question for you is, were you intending to breed Ava and Roco? If so, there's a number of breeders here that can offer advise. I think most will likely tell you, however, if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Newly hatched parrots are not like chickens that come out, hop around and start eating on their own right off. Baby parrots are WAY above my pay grade, so I'll defer to people with more expertise here. I would say, first and foremost, talk with your avian professional, and seek out local breeders if possible. They may be your lifeline in this.

If this egg was truly a "surprise" and you weren't planning on breeding them, we need to take a different approach. Lose the nest box. They don't need it. At all. It only serves to promote breeding/hormonal behavior. Also, remove any access to dark, shadowy, secluded places, as they also promote the behavior. I believe it is fairly common practice to either boil the egg, or replace it with a "dummy egg" until she loses interest in it. Just removing it may prompt her to lay again, and egg production is hard on them. Again, I'll leave it to experienced breeder folks.

So, more information would help in pointing you the right direction.

By the way, we love pictures her if you'd like to share. (hint, hint...)

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A warm welcome to Andy, Polly, and your pair of Amazons!

Breeding is a complex affair, especially when nature takes an unpredicted course and parents ignore the chick(s). Hopefully Ava and Roco have faithful instincts, but if they don't you'll face a daunting task, especially if rejected the first few days/weeks. (happened to me three times)

Please consider this thoughtful thread written by one of our breeder members: http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/54987-before-i-start-breed.html

Good luck, keep us updated!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
In the future, if you don't want babies, don't provide a nest box and try to keep males and females apart. If you want babies, know that it can get very sad and complicated very fast. Please start planning now for the expenses of housing them apart when they are old enough because babies will mate with siblings and fight too-- they will need separate cages or you could face inbreeding and genetic issues.

The egg-laying female will need higher calcium for laying....cuttlebone etc can help. Please DO read Scott's link about breeding (above).

Here is some info in case you have to intervene and hand-feed...You may need a brooder, parrot formula, syringes etc--- here is a very helpful post-- read for detail..
http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

If you do not want this egg to hatch and it appeared recently, you can stealthfully remove it (for a short time), boil it, mark it with a dot and return it once cooled. I know it sounds cruel-- I struggle with it myself...BUT--Unless you know what you are doing, the risks are high-- the sooner the better, in my mind (and if you eat meat, it is way less cruel than killing an animal that is running around with a fully developed nervous system).
You do NOT want to ever remove eggs permanently until the female loses interest, but you can stop the embryo from developing if that is your wish...It's a personal choice, but babies can be a traumatic experience--sometimes mothers neglect them and people have to take over, other times they get pecked to death....sometimes it works out but then they STILL NEED their own cages etc..no matter what, hatching will be expensive and stressful (and will impact your current parrots' behavior).

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts