Introducing a baby Indian ringneck to a African grey

Louieb886

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
1 called louie a congo african grey
Hi , my girlfriend and I have just introduced a baby ringneck into the family but we have a 16 year old African grey also , we have a issue with the baby ringneck constantly flying onto the African greys cage which you can imagine is stressing out our grey , would you guys suggest teaching the ringneck to stay on his cage in order to introduce boundaries for the bird as our grey is used to ? Or allow the ringneck to fly around the house but aware the greys cage is out of bounds ? Thanks

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Safety of both birds but especially the more vulnerable baby IRN paramount. Ideally you could teach boundaries so your IRN avoids the Grey's cage but that's not easy! Does the Grey come of the cage, perhaps you could introduce them at some point on neutral ground such as playstand.

OP
L

Louieb886

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
To be honest the baby irn is a gutsy one as he isn’t the scared one out of the 2 , yes they both come out at the same times each day.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Do you observe any hostility? Are they comfortable standing on a neutral place like a stand?

Greys can be rather reserved and quiet but you can bet they are observing and sizing up everything!

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Do you observe any hostility? Are they comfortable standing on a neutral place like a stand?

Greys can be rather reserved and quiet but you can bet they are observing and sizing up everything!
Yes they’re planning something, it might be 17 years down the road but they’re planning.
All IRN I’ve seen they’re incredibly outgoing, look like fun birds. Sounds like need to be careful for now.

OP
L

Louieb886

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
Well the irn is pretty full on constantly flying onto my greys cage and she will just go in and stay in one place , she will try and bite him through the bars if he gets close , the problem is my grey is fine when the irn is back in his cage ?

Most Reactions