Introducing a new cage to a set-in-his-ways 29 year old.

Whistler

Aug 10, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Meyers, English budgies, American budgie
My CAG, Thunder, has been in the same cage for 25 years or so - it's a (now defunct) California cage, 36" wide, playtop which isn't used, and dark green. It's a tired old cage and I decided to buy him a new one, a powder grey Kings cage, 32" wide with an arch top. I put the new one next to him but he won't climb on it, of course. It's set up now and I wonder if you have any tips about introducing it. He's not budging about climbing on or in. Should I just put him in it and assume he'll acclimate? I hate to stress him, but also would love for him to be in his new digs, already. Thanks for any thoughts.

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Aww he needs time to get used to the idea he is moving home. you could start by placing a well known toy just inside and leaving treats in a movable/screw bowl outside that he can reach without going in, place a perch on the outside for him to stand on and eat. Even hang a millet on the outside, once he’s found them .. maybe in a couple of days move them nearer to the door. Keep going .. I’m sure he will love the cage you have got for him eventually.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not one bit surprised!!
Consider disassembling the cage and introduction it by moving the bits into his area one section at a time.
With him with you start assembling the cage with his involvement!
Yes, it will take much more time, but it will be very possible that when the both of you have completed the re-assembly he will be much more likely to move in!

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Had a Blue Front Amazon. Now have an African Grey (CAG)
I haven't ever changed Scooter's (CAG) cage, but I did upgrade Boo's (BFA). The new one was wider, taller, and gave more room. I set the new one up next to Boo's old cage, let him get used to it. Bought toys, played with them outside the cage, till Boo got intrigued, then put them in the new cage - just a couple of toys. Then one day when he came downstairs (he slept in a night cage, upstairs) instead of his old cage, I put him in his new cage. He settled in and ate breakfast. I transferred his old toys to the new cage, and that was home. He never raised a fuss about it.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
The TAG I had many years ago took an entire month to get over her fear of a new playstand! It did happen eventually though. If you have the space to continue to have both cages, just leave it where it is and try the things that have been suggested! They’ll be interested eventually, and it’ll be less stressful for them to decide to move to it on their own.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
You must have bought the radioactive cage.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Put a sign on the new cage that reads "Keep Off". (Reverse psychology) If the sign is made of wood, it may just work. 😁

miki

Jun 26, 2014
My CAG, Thunder, has been in the same cage for 25 years or so - it's a (now defunct) California cage, 36" wide, playtop which isn't used, and dark green. It's a tired old cage and I decided to buy him a new one, a powder grey Kings cage, 32" wide with an arch top. I put the new one next to him but he won't climb on it, of course. It's set up now and I wonder if you have any tips about introducing it. He's not budging about climbing on or in. Should I just put him in it and assume he'll acclimate? I hate to stress him, but also would love for him to be in his new digs, already. Thanks for any thoughts.
I recently got a new cage for my pet female Congo African Grey Parrot, Aziza, who'll be 13 years old on February 1st, 2023, since the old cage I had her in was over 10 years old, had a bunch of problems, and is now defunct. When the owner of the store where I'd purchased Aziza as a 2.5 month old baby 12 years ago this past April, and the store owner's husband came to deliver the cage a week ago last Sunday and put it together for me, I put Aziza in the new cage right away, and the owner of the store and her husband wheeled the old cage out after helping me put it together and gave me instructions on how to use it. It's a great cage, and my cleaning lady, who came this past Monday, really liked it, as well.

Most Reactions