introducing cockatiel to a family friend?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
so, to start off, this is a 50% chance that the friend will come over. she is 9, I am older, we aren't too close, however I am more like a cousin to her. my family arranged charlotte to hang out with me and I will take her trick or treating on Halloween. I'm not complaining much though as she's not a terror, but I am a bit nervous to introduce her to Rico (my cockatiel) as he's a nipper and is quite particular about people and such. he doesn't like ppl who wear hats, he's not a fan of tank tops (no grip on the shoulders), he's super peculiar about how ppl wear their hair as he likes ppl with hair up more than people with hair down, and he's not a fan of super short hair like my dad or grandma's or my mooch of a cousin's hair. he doesn't like dirty hands, he doesn't like people in red shirts as red is super evil to him for some reason, and he doesn't like men much. I want them to meet but idk the PROPER way to introduce them. keep in mind he doesn't cling to me or anything, he prefers to keep some distance, but he does enjoy interaction w/ me such as singing, scritching, treat training, and things of the sort. he enjoys my company though and is hand tame. I'm worried char may get bit or Rico may not like her. she listens well and does respect boundaries, ESPECIALLY with animals. thoughts? oh, btw, he gives warning hisses, and fake-outs (where he acts like he is going to bite but rubs his beak on you while hissing) before biting and making you bleed, unless he's hormonal. plenty of warning. (also, birb tax, so here be a pic of my winged rat child who i love to bits)

Attachments

• IMG_E2864.JPG
    IMG_E2864.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Keep the bird in his cage. You and your friend can talk to him softly (without hats!) and let the bird decide how he wants to react. Most 'Tiels are major show-offs and they'll dance and sing when people give them attention. Look, but don't touch, and you won't get bit...

And he's adorable BTW.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I agree with JimsBrother - the first few times I met my son/his gf's cockatiel, he just stayed in his cage where they knew he was comfortable. I gave him a few treats once he was relaxed and curious about me, but if he was ignoring me or looking very alert or anxious I would have just left him alone and the people would have continued our visit nearby.

I also agree that he's a really cute bird!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Keep the bird in his cage. You and your friend can talk to him softly (without hats!) and let the bird decide how he wants to react. Most 'Tiels are major show-offs and they'll dance and sing when people give them attention. Look, but don't touch, and you won't get bit...

And he's adorable BTW.
my tiel is a bit shy but he will do territorial displays and will sing if his fav playlist is played. he isnt the shyest and will step up but it a bit "nippy"

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If you or your friend will be wearing a Halloween costume or mask, that might be a bit scary for your cockatiel. So if you dress up you might choose not to show him as he could be confused hearing your voice coming from a scary monster!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
If you or your friend will be wearing a Halloween costume or mask, that might be a bit scary for your cockatiel. So if you dress up you might choose not to show him as he could be confused hearing your voice coming from a scary monster!
i'll let her know not to wear her costume around my adorable little rat egg and i wont put my mask on until we are abt to leave. i have made the mistake of showing him my mask that i painted like a raven and now he gets very hissy and aggressive when he sees it so, i just keep it away from him lol but ty!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Update: she changed a lot and now I and Rico, do not like her. She is no longer welcome back as she had shaken his cage and she swore at me a lot. My little cousin is welcome back tho since she’s chill.

Most Reactions