Introducing...Drum roll please...

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
PB: Green Cheek Conure (hatched 2009);
Master Beaker: B&G macaw (hatched Aug. 2014)
Master Beaker

dustbunny-albums-master-beaker-picture12972-master-beaker-hugging-fozzie-s-stuffed-puppy.jpg

(Don't worry, the glass thermometer isn't left in there. I was comparing its temperature to the digital one.)

To be honest, I haven't made this post sooner because I wasn't certain how much of this crazy story I actually wanted to reveal publicly. After losing Fozzie (Hahns macaw that died by freak accident less than 2 weeks before picking him up), I really didn't know what I wanted to do. As I said before, the breeder gave me many options above and beyond what would be reasonably expected. She offered to wean a Hahns baby from another breeder for me if I didn't want to wait for her pair to breed again in the spring. She also offered me her unsold blue and gold macaw baby, though it wouldn't be ready to go home until maybe December. After a couple days of considering my options, I knew I wasn't yet ready for another Hahns, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do next. I felt like I was just spinning wheels in my head.

At that point I was leaning towards just waiting until next year, but I decided it was a very big decision and before making it final I would meditate on it, try to clear my head, and hopefully see everything from a clearer perspective. It was not my most successful meditation but only about 10 minutes in I felt this crazy surge of energy shoot up my feet and just explode in my body. In that same instance I knew with absolute certainty that I was meant to bring a blue and gold macaw home. I knew the purpose was to help me to grow as a person and that there would be difficulties but it would prove rewarding. I also knew his name should be Master to help remind me that part of his purpose is to guide and test me - a little guru who doesn't know his own wisdom. I knew all this and more in a fraction of a second.

Crazy enough so far? I also knew that I was supposed to raise Master myself. This last part threw me for a major loop as I've never had any inclination to raise a baby bird and knew little about it. In fact, each time I would speak to the breeder and she'd tell me a story about raising the babies I'd always laugh and sometimes jokingly say, "Better you than me." I know my breeder doesn't even sell unweaned birds so this idea left me confused, but it was clear as day. When I called the breeder up and told her what happened though, to my surprise, she readily agreed to train me and walk me through it each step of the way. It probably helps that we've met a few times now and get along, and she's close enough that I can drive over if there is a problem.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I questioned my own sanity the first couple days, and every single time I did something happened to 100% reassure me this was the right decision. It's gone almost Twilight Zone weird at times. I studied morning to night for days reading everything I could find online and then went to the breeder's place Sunday for additional training and to get the little baby.

As horrible as it sounds, I wonder if Fozzie's life and death had the purpose of opening my mind and heart to a larger macaw - specifically Master Beaker. I love blue-and-gold macaws. If you're talking dream birds many people like the B&Gs but LOVE hyacinths. I prefer it in reverse. However, there are many valid reasons for my initial decision to go with the smaller hahns over the B&G. Stepping back and thinking about it though most of them centered around fear. Fear of what might happen. As I thought more about it I realized possible solutions to many of these issues and also that many of these issues I've already tackled with PB and in most cases the same methods apply for a large macaw. PB is smaller but I was able to train her from a wild adult to a bird I can flip and belly kiss and who knows and respects her boundaries (well, most of them, most days :p). That has to say something. Right? Anyway, I named Fozzie after the Muppets. Beaker is also the name of a very cute Muppet. I added "Beaker" to the new baby's name because 1) it seems a nice way to remember and thank Fozzie, and 2) because isn't that just the perfect name for a macaw? LOL

Anyway, I've rambled on almost long enough to be a novella. I'll try to wrap this up.

I was allowed to pick between two babies. I knew before I got there that the middle child was the one meant for me. Master Beaker growth is a little stunted and he has some minor crop issues that should be entirely resolved in another day or two. I could have left him with the breeder until everything was resolved, but I KNEW that wasn't what I was supposed to do. I still don't entirely know why, but I am positive it's what I'm meant to do. I didn't expect the "difficulties" to begin so soon upon bringing him home, but who am I to question the master's infinite wisdom and training methods? :09: The breeder has been wonderful and is holding my hand every step of the way. I'm not so much leaning on her as smothering her. LOL.

If anyone else would like to study under Master Beaker in the future I've created his blog, The Lessons of Master Beaker. (Yes, at the risk of being locked up in a padded room, I confess the inspiration for this blog came to me during a very strange meditation session as well. Its purpose is so I don't get lazy and fail to recognize the lessons I'm given.)

So there you have it, at least a short summary of my possible mental breakdown. Now I can add Master Beaker to the "Parrots that I have" list without confusing anyone. :)

Oh and I should note I don't actually know if Master Beaker is male or female yet, but I did send the test off and should know soon.

................I need to hit the submit button but I'm so afraid of being judged a loon. That is probably a lesson in itself. Ok. Here goes. :30:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Master Beaker sounds like he is a precious gift meant just for you. When you "know" you know, and it sounds like entering this journey of hand raising him is meant to be for you. I'm sure you have the AV and breeder on speed dial for any questions too:D I'm sure in the years to come, you'll have such a deep bond with each other because you did rear him. Look forward to watching him grow up!

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
When I scrolled down and saw the picture I knew you decided on a Blue and Gold. Something told me that you were going to consider the challenge of the larger parrot and it put a smile on my face to learn you have accepted that challenge.

I personally don't think your story is that crazy. Meditating on a decision or for clarity is something I do myself. My challenge IS meditating because I am narcoleptic and fall asleep very quickly. When I can successfully meditate and get something out of that session it is a big accomplishment for someone like me.

It sounds like you have a huge amount of clarity with your decision with taking Master Beaker home. I applaude your decision and share in your joy. I also wish you nothing but success getting your baby raised and pray the baby's current physical problems right themselves in your care.

I also understand traveling such a difficult road. I am in somewhat the same shoes myself with the huge hurclian effort it is taking me with finding a stable full time job. Last night I saw an opening in Battle Creek MI which is a 10 hour drive from where I live now and took a few moments to contemplate applying. I quickly did some research on the area but didn't move to submit the application package. After sleeping on it I have decided that moving that far away will not be a bad move for someone like me and that it would be smart for me to at least apply.

So who knows my current life at this time could majorly go sideways and I end up 10 hours away from everyone I know. The payoff would be a very stable job with pay that will enable me to be totally independent of everyone and the government.

OP
Dustbunny

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
Thank you both so much for the support!

Noble, good luck on your job search. A move that big is a challenge and can be scary. I know, I've gone literally cross country, coast-to-coast before as well as long distance, out-of-state moves a few times. When you're hungry enough though sometimes you just have to shake the tree and make the apple fall.

...Just don't fall asleep under the tree. :09:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
OH MY GOSH!!!

Many...no...MANY MANY congratulations on Master Beaker!! :D

Your story gave me goosebumps on more than one occasion. :) I wish you and the precious one ALL the best, and am thoroughly looking forward to seeing him grow and thrive.

LOVE your blog as well!!

This will be an unforgettable journey - no doubt.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
CONGRATULATIONS!! Master Beaker looks so small and fragile sleeping on his teddy bear. Precious photo of the great master. Looking forward to watching this little sweetheart grow up. Thank you for sharing his journey.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Wonderful !! Nothing like the love of a bonded Macaw :)

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Ahhhh... please, please, please take tons of pictures and videos of Beaker growing up!

OP
Dustbunny

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
I hope to put a new picture or video up on his blog each day, but the quality might not be so great until I get a new camera. Sorry! It's on my list behind another cage and all the things Master Beaker will need in a few weeks. PB is getting almost all the stuff I previously purchased for Fozzie (cage, toys, etc.). She's okay with it, but my bank account is groaning. LOL

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Oh my gosh!!!!!!! that is the cutest picture I have ever seen!!!! Oh my gosh I just want to cuddle it! It looks like he is cuddling his bear! Awwwwww :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts