Introducing New Bird

skunkmonkey

May 7, 2022
Parrots
Rio and Maui both Indian Ringneck
Rio is our 4yr old Indian Ringneck. She desperately wanted a bird friend, so we bought Maui, a hatchling Indian Ringneck. Maui has come out of a 45 day quarantine, and he is very friendly and social with us. Unfortunately whenever Rio tries to meet Maui then Maui will fluff up and pin his eyes at her, and if she gets too close he will lunge at her.

When we first brought Maui home however he was very curious about Rio, and would climb up the side of his cage to be close to her. We didn't expect aggression when they actually got to meet. The only thing I can think of is that Maui has been playing with reflective surfaces in his cage, and he gets aggressive with his reflection. We've covered those surfaces today in case they are the cause of his aggression.

They are side by side all day long every day in their adjacent cages, and we let them both out at the same time, and try to give them both equal play time. I'm not sure where the hostility is coming from with Maui. Any tips or suggestions on how to help Maui to feel more at home with Rio?

Also, maybe I'm reading too much into their interaction, and this is normal for a new bird meeting another? It doesn't seem like a friendly visit though.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m guessing both your birds were used to having THEIR OWN relationships with you and now they have to share you and interact. So they are both upset and jealous.

I have two adult boy birds of different species. They will never have contact, because they are vastly different sizes, but I carefully take turns and give each bird focused attention when he is out. In that case it’s sometimes easier to be in another room as then there are no distractions.

Which bird is being aggressive? One or both?

OP
S

skunkmonkey

May 7, 2022
Parrots
Rio and Maui both Indian Ringneck
Our new hatchling Maui is the one that's being aggressive in the relationship. Maui is kind and gentle with us, and tolerant of Rio as long as Rio doesn't come near him.
Rio is our 4yr old little angel. She's always friendly and gentle with us and she's trying very nicely to interact with Maui, but Maui isn't having it.

I kind of suspect it might be jealousy as well, and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to limit that. I noticed the other day that the positions of their playstands might make Maui feel second rate to Rio, since Rio likes to sit on a playstand on our computer desks and watch bird videos while we type. Maui's playstand was behind us.

I made Maui a similar playstand yesterday when I thought about that, so that Maui can sit at the desk with us as well. He seems overjoyed with it, but still doesn't want Rio to get too close to him, and he will hop off his playstand to go over to Rio's when she isn't around.

I'll give it some time, and see if the move helps with the jealousy.

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
Rio is our 4yr old Indian Ringneck. She desperately wanted a bird friend, so we bought Maui, a hatchling Indian Ringneck. Maui has come out of a 45 day quarantine, and he is very friendly and social with us. Unfortunately whenever Rio tries to meet Maui then Maui will fluff up and pin his eyes at her, and if she gets too close he will lunge at her.

When we first brought Maui home however he was very curious about Rio, and would climb up the side of his cage to be close to her. We didn't expect aggression when they actually got to meet. The only thing I can think of is that Maui has been playing with reflective surfaces in his cage, and he gets aggressive with his reflection. We've covered those surfaces today in case they are the cause of his aggression.

They are side by side all day long every day in their adjacent cages, and we let them both out at the same time, and try to give them both equal play time. I'm not sure where the hostility is coming from with Maui. Any tips or suggestions on how to help Maui to feel more at home with Rio?

Also, maybe I'm reading too much into their interaction, and this is normal for a new bird meeting another? It doesn't seem like a friendly visit though.
How is it going now with them? I just brought a linnie home as a companion for my beebee parrot and it isn’t going well either. The linnie is an angel and my beebee is being super aggressive and lunged at her once. Not sure where to go from here! 😵‍💫 any advice welcome.

Most Reactions