Introducing.. Sahara!

Dancake

Mar 8, 2020
United States
Parrots
Bubby (U2)
I recently found someone who needed to rehome their sun conure because they lost the time for her and they were moving somewhere where they weren't allowed to keep her. And they also noticed she had started plucking (most likely from lack of attention, she is VERY clingy,) and I couldn't resist this absolute cutie! Everyone meet Sahara, the 2 year old female sun conure! Her favorite hobbies are screaming, chewing on my glasses frames, and chewing on my lips... She's definitely gonna be a little piece of work haha! I can handle the screaming, just would rather keep her from chewing me. She's definitely a velcro bird so we're gonna need to work on that too! Won't stay off my shoulder or head LOL! It's only been a few hours but she's already really liking me I think! So far she has a very similar personality to a green cheek i had that passed a few years ago, and having her is honestly really comforting, I missed having a conure so much, even if not the same species. First pic is from her previous owner.

image_2023-07-16_193155774.png

image_2023-07-16_192627475.png

image_2023-07-16_192522154.png

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I recently found someone who needed to rehome their sun conure because they lost the time for her and they were moving somewhere where they weren't allowed to keep her. And they also noticed she had started plucking (most likely from lack of attention, she is VERY clingy,) and I couldn't resist this absolute cutie! Everyone meet Sahara, the 2 year old female sun conure! Her favorite hobbies are screaming, chewing on my glasses frames, and chewing on my lips... She's definitely gonna be a little piece of work haha! I can handle the screaming, just would rather keep her from chewing me. She's definitely a velcro bird so we're gonna need to work on that too! Won't stay off my shoulder or head LOL! It's only been a few hours but she's already really liking me I think! So far she has a very similar personality to a green cheek i had that passed a few years ago, and having her is honestly really comforting, I missed having a conure so much, even if not the same species. First pic is from her previous owner.

View attachment 52776

View attachment 52775

View attachment 52774
Oh wow, Sahara is a beauty 😍 Thank you for giving her a wonderful, loving new home, I think she's going to LOVE living with you!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Biting, whether intentional or not, just over preening your skin or actually taking chunks of meat out - all are PAINFULL! In the wild that sort of behavior is not tolerated by the flock. They ostracize flock members who continue to act like that. We call it 'Shunning'. This WILL work, but needs to be done correctly to get the message across and it needs to be done IMMEDIATELY so the parrot can associate the bite with the shunning action. And it needs to happen every time and with anyone involved with the parrot.

When the bite or over preening occurs:

• Say in a forceful but not shouting voice "No Bite" or other endearments.
  • Immediately place the parrot on a nearby, handy chairback. NOT the cage (that would only teach the parrot to bite when he wants to go back to his cage).
  • Turn your back to him and ignore him for 1 minute. No peeking, no talking about or too him, NADA. NO eye contact. No less or the message is lost, no more or the bird will not associate the action with the bite.
  • After a minute you can try to re-establish contact.

Rinse, repeat as needed. Most parrots get the message after a few times, some may need more. Also very important - make sure the bite is not your fault. Annoying your parrot, asking him to step up when he is otherwise preoccupied with eating or playing, bothering him during known moody times like mating season, or ignoring the warnings and body language of your parrot - these are bites that you deserve! Learn, and be a better parront !!

OP
Dancake

Dancake

Mar 8, 2020
United States
Parrots
Bubby (U2)
Biting, whether intentional or not, just over preening your skin or actually taking chunks of meat out - all are PAINFULL! In the wild that sort of behavior is not tolerated by the flock. They ostracize flock members who continue to act like that. We call it 'Shunning'. This WILL work, but needs to be done correctly to get the message across and it needs to be done IMMEDIATELY so the parrot can associate the bite with the shunning action. And it needs to happen every time and with anyone involved with the parrot.

When the bite or over preening occurs:

• Say in a forceful but not shouting voice "No Bite" or other endearments.
  • Immediately place the parrot on a nearby, handy chairback. NOT the cage (that would only teach the parrot to bite when he wants to go back to his cage).
  • Turn your back to him and ignore him for 1 minute. No peeking, no talking about or too him, NADA. NO eye contact. No less or the message is lost, no more or the bird will not associate the action with the bite.
  • After a minute you can try to re-establish contact.

Rinse, repeat as needed. Most parrots get the message after a few times, some may need more. Also very important - make sure the bite is not your fault. Annoying your parrot, asking him to step up when he is otherwise preoccupied with eating or playing, bothering him during known moody times like mating season, or ignoring the warnings and body language of your parrot - these are bites that you deserve! Learn, and be a better parront !!
Thank you so much for the advice!! She is just trying to preen me so those steps will be very useful. I’ll start using them immediately! She seems really smart so hopefully she catches on quick lol. I really appreciate your help!

Grayway

Jan 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Arizona
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Blue n Gold Macaw
Orange wing Amazon
Cockatiels
Sun Conure

View attachment 52776

View attachment 52775

View attachment 52774
I too have one that circumstances required a change. She is the best.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Sahara is beautiful. I adore conures too. They just have something to them that is captivating. I have bird shirts because both of my conures like to chew holes in my shirts if they are on my person. I feel like my conures could compete with a beaver in terms of chewing 🤣.

Grayway

Jan 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Arizona
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Blue n Gold Macaw
Orange wing Amazon
Cockatiels
Sun Conure
Sahara is beautiful. I adore conures too. They just have something to them that is captivating. I have bird shirts because both of my conures like to chew holes in my shirts if they are on my person. I feel like my conures could compete with a beaver in terms of chewing 🤣.
Oh my! And I thot I was the only one. Lol

Most Reactions