Introduction and new to Amazons!

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Hi All,

My name is Jen and I live in Moreno Valley in California. Some of you may know me from the conure forum. I had 1 GCC and 2 Sunnies who all tragically passed a few months ago from a Teflon disaster. It took awhile for me to see that this was a horrible horrible mistake. I am an RN who checked, double checked and then triple checked everything. And it happened to be my poor sweet hubbby who used the Teflon and felt so responsible. And I was so mad I didn't handle things very well and took my anger out on him.

I now see that it WAS just a misktake. But now we ALL know what is at risk and how scary fast this particular risk can kill your fids. My story relating to that whole incident is over at the conure forum of you are interested. My husband and I have paid dearly and it will always be something I am ULTRA paranoid about. As time tends to do, the days passed and our pain reached the point where we started to consider our fid family, or lack there of.

In a strange set of circumstances, we got together with the person who bred and sold us our first fid family, 3 baby conures all at once. Wow was that an eye opener. Two I hand fed for 6 weeks and the GCC was weaned but had a mind of her own.

When we met with the breeder he had a DYH Amazon female (1 yea old) who was sweeter than all get out. This was to be "his" bird. He hatched her and brought her up to be super social, very tender with a goofy sense of humor. His wife wasn't supposed to be able to get pregnant and surprise! As soon as he found out he wanted to make sure she got a super home and it wasn't a last minute thing. She climbed on my lap, flipped upside down, grabbed my finger with her claw and gently "mouthed" each finger, which is still her overall favorite activity. We have had her only 5 days today, so we in the getting to know you period. I have read everything I can on Amazons and still feel like I don't know what I'm doing. My husband, who is also quite taken, couldn't resist a 2 little GCC so we will be VERY busy for awhile. Thank goodness we work out of our home so we are with our fids all day!

This DYH girl doesn't have a name yet (couldn't pronounce her original name) so we are just taking our time and not rushing anything. We have left her cage door open everyday and yesterday she finally got brave enough to come out. She is near a sliding glass door and has a great view of chickens, sheep, horses and wild birds all day. Our 3 dogs are pretty boisterous so that is a new thing as well. As long as we are making progress I am letting her set the pace.

I thought my Sunnies explored with their beaks and tongues! This girl want's some part of your hand in her mouth at all times. She is SO tender, but I know things can change. Her pressure control seems to be almost perfect. If she even starts getting a little too hard we just tell her to go easy and she goes back to super gentle mode. She seems to like when I play with her and grab her (VERY BIG - OMG) beak and gently shake it.

I am surprised that she doesn't step up better. I am almost sure it's my technique or trust issues. She will put one foot on my arm and lifts off with the other foot then vice versa. The trust level is increasing daily. I never thought I would have a large parrot as they always seemed a little scary to me. (and people think I'm brave breaking a horse...I'd rather be on the back of a 1200 lb out of control crazy horse than deal with the beak). There is kind of a sentiment in the horse world that if your gonna play with 1200 lb animals then your gonna get hurt and just cowgirl up. For some reason I have no fear that this bird will bite me. Reading the body language article did help some. Especially on the "Amazons' don't bluff" segment. That is always nice to know.

She loves foot toys and seems smarter than my college age kids (thank goodness, lol). She seems to like to tear things apart, that pretty conure like. Only difference is they will be BIGGER things.

She has ALWAYS had her wings clipped and I'm not sure how we will handle this. Our fids have always been free flighted all day but then they were not so BIG. It would be like having one of those huge fire fighting planes zooming through my house, as opposed to my little Cessnas.

So, right now I guess I would welcome any and all advice on a brand new to the family DYH Amazon 1 yo female who is, so far, trying super hard to fit into our family. We want to take advantage of this time with her! Thank you in advance.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I am soo sorry you lost your three little ones the same day! :eek: My heart breaks for you.
But Congradulations on your new baby and welcome to the World of Amazons!

As a very wise man I know well says.."Amazons Rule!" and "Amazons have more FUN! This you will find out soon enough lol.
Now you are officially an "Amazon Snob"! WELCOME!

And yes..PICTURES PLEASE!!

Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi and welcome to the world ofAmazons. They truely are amazing birds, and like the article says, They Do Not Bluff. I would read that article a few more times, so that you are ready to react to the Amazon body language. Its great that She (la) is so gentle - enjoy that now becasue that will change as she explores and pushed boundaries, just like a human kid will. This is a great time to start trick training. It will make for a special time every day where its just you and She(La). Beginers tricks are stepping up and down, shaking hands, and such. It will give your parrot ajob, and they thrive on that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts