IRN and Cockatiel

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
I'm wondering if I should do anything.

My male IRN and female cockatiel came as a bonded pair and have been kept in the same cage. I suspect the IRN was young when they were introduced and have been together about 7 years now. IRN is very protective of the cockatiel and preens her often, and she really snuggles up to him, and gets a bit demanding of the attention too. However, lately she sometimes batters him away with rapid pecks to his face and sometimes feet - she's just on and off with him.

Now, I have caught the IRN holding her tail in his foot and gnawing on her tail feathers. The other day on the top of the cage, it seemed he was standing on her tail and maybe biting her back. I couldn't exactly what he was doing though before I sternly called his name and they separated.

Today there's been some preening, some quibbling, and then I came in to see IRN on top of the cockatiel. He was issuing his usual scolding calls (like if I'm going to pick up the cockatiel) and she was issuing odd joyous sounds that some have commented that their cockatiel has made.

I don't think they can actually mate, so should I just expect this to be a seasonal thing that will come and go without issue? I suspect that separating them would cause some stress. They both get a bit excited when one is away from the other for too long and they will both start screaming to each other. Plus I don't really have room for two cages.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'd make sure you have a calcium source and remove any shadowy or potential nesting sites in the cage, as she can lay even without a male...This will likely stimulate her to produce an egg (infertile...) but either way, that can lead to egg binding etc. They can mate and hold onto the back like that, but they can also get mad if their affections are spurned...

OP
ctwo

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
I have two cuddlebones with them and they show a bit of nibbling around the edges. Maybe I should pulverize some eggshell into dust and mix it in with their chop or with the "veggie" chips I make them once in a while too.

OP
ctwo

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
I don't think Mango knows what he's doing. He just stands tall up there looking around making silly noises.

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Never house two different species especially vastly incompatible ones . IRNs have been known to kill cockatiels. Time to separate before it is too late.

OP
ctwo

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
It's hard to believe given that IRN is so protective of the tiel, they snuggle so much together, and sleep sxs like two peas in a pod most of the time. I haven't seen anything in the past couple of days. Have to return to the office full time in a couple months, so may set up a time-lapse to see what goes on when I'm not there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts