IRN behavior

frankjose

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Alexandrine (deceased - 27/5/2018)

Indian Ringneck
I got a 3 month old IRN more than a month ago. I've now been able to hand train the IRN and he gets on and off my hands comfortably. But occasionally he plants a soft bite on my fingers, especially my thumb when I move it. The thumb movement actually happens inadvertently - so I am trying to stop that. Should I make any other changes so it does not bite or will he get used to it? Also, he hasn't made a sound since I got him. The only sounds are those grumblings when it is taking its naps during the day. Is there a way to get him to communicate with sounds?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If you have a hand movement that occurs with little to no ability to control, try to move your step-up away from you hand and on to your lower arm and/or tucking your thumb into your hand.

It is important to remember that Parrots do not fully connect all parts of our body with our face. Kind of like seeing us (our head) on a tree (our body) and the other parts are long for the ride. So, by keeping you hands /arm closer to your both will help in connecting them with your head.

Three months is a bit young to be assured of a complete bonded relationship. So, keep working on developing that relationship.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Talk to him ( or her, not an IT) like you would a human baby, lots of goofy sounds and words. Seriously. Do it a lot. He'll latch onto ones that intrigue him.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
SilverSage is a member here, its likely she will see yiur post abd offer advice. She is also a breeder of IRN On her web page are many great articles on ring necks.
Home - Silver Sage Aviaries

Most Reactions