IRN help please

Julessug

Apr 8, 2022
Parrots
3IRNā€™s
Hello everyone, I gave a female IRN around 9-12 months old. I purchased her from a bird show in Feb of this year, she isnā€™t mean at all but she will not come out of her cage. I have tried several different things I leave the doors open but she has no interest in coming outšŸ˜” she will step up if she is out and is on the floor or chair but as soon as she steps up she flys back to her cage. How do I help her to adjust to being out?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Be patient and go at the bird's pace. But if you want a good method, target training works wonders. Slowly target her closer and closer to the door, until she comes all the way out. Then you can work towards going out on her own.

OP
Julessug

Julessug

Apr 8, 2022
Parrots
3IRNā€™s
Be patient and go at the bird's pace. But if you want a good method, target training works wonders. Slowly target her closer and closer to the door, until she comes all the way out. Then you can work towards going out on her own.
Where do I find information on target training

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Where do I find information on target training
Here:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
After spending a long time in the cage, they become fearful of leaving it.

Try attaching lots of perches toys food dishes on the outside of cage sides snd top.
Put a perch on outside by door. Give treats for sticking head out. For coming onto perch.

If you click this takes you to a page I have articles links on cage bound parrots. Or you can search the term yourself

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Hello everyone, I gave a female IRN around 9-12 months old. I purchased her from a bird show in Feb of this year, she isnā€™t mean at all but she will not come out of her cage. I have tried several different things I leave the doors open but she has no interest in coming outšŸ˜” she will step up if she is out and is on the floor or chair but as soon as she steps up she flys back to her cage. How do I help her to adjust to being out?
Itā€™s important to go at the birds pace!
And itā€™s really difficult for any bird owner cuz theyā€™re so adorable! But itā€™s important to note that they are prey and we are predators to them. So think of it as youā€™re putting yourself in their shoes (even if they donā€™t wear shoes).
Target training is a helpful tip given above.
Also lure with treats in hand and slowly build up to your ring neck eating from your palm or fingers. This creates a positive experience for the bird.
Iā€™ve never dealt with this personally but looking at all these new tips and learning about it myself is really getting me ready to be a parront!

OP
Julessug

Julessug

Apr 8, 2022
Parrots
3IRNā€™s
Itā€™s important to go at the birds pace!
And itā€™s really difficult for any bird owner cuz theyā€™re so adorable! But itā€™s important to note that they are prey and we are predators to them. So think of it as youā€™re putting yourself in their shoes (even if they donā€™t wear shoes).
Target training is a helpful tip given above.
Also lure with treats in hand and slowly build up to your ring neck eating from your palm or fingers. This creates a positive experience for the bird.
Iā€™ve never dealt with this personally but looking at all these new tips and learning about it myself is really getting me ready to be a parront!
Thank you I have been doing research on target training and I believe I will
Try that she isnā€™t fearful really more standoffish o have gotten her to step up but only when she is on the floor. When I got her she had an upper respiratory infection that came out about 4-5 days after I got her home. That being said I had no choice but to Force her out to give her meds. No ow she wants no part of coming out. That only way I was able to get her out was to use a towel and scoop her up in it šŸ˜­ I know it is going to be a process but Iā€™m hopeful I will over come these issues and have a loving bird in the end. Thanks againšŸ˜Š

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I have an untame African Ringneck so not the same situation, but I've had a few really good conversations with people who have owned or worked with a lot of ringneck species over the years.

Target training was the first recommendation every time :)

I think especially in this case where she has negative associations with coming out, rewarding her for ANY movement toward the door when it's open will help. For instance, open the door, if she stays calm, treat. Then if she looks toward door w curiosity and not fear, treat. Etc

I use a marker word when I train any animal (I say "yes!") in the way you'd use a clicker, and for me it to make communicating what you're training work a little better. I've used clickers in the past but my current dog is terrified of the sound ;)

Please keep us updated, I love reading ringneck stories!

OP
Julessug

Julessug

Apr 8, 2022
Parrots
3IRNā€™s
I have an untame African Ringneck so not the same situation, but I've had a few really good conversations with people who have owned or worked with a lot of ringneck species over the years.

Target training was the first recommendation every time :)

I think especially in this case where she has negative associations with coming out, rewarding her for ANY movement toward the door when it's open will help. For instance, open the door, if she stays calm, treat. Then if she looks toward door w curiosity and not fear, treat. Etc

I use a marker word when I train any animal (I say "yes!") in the way you'd use a clicker, and for me it to make communicating what you're training work a little better. I've used clickers in the past but my current dog is terrified of the sound ;)

Please keep us updated, I love reading ringneck stories!
I definitely will update Iā€™m excited to started target training Iā€™ve been watching videos all evening on how to do it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts