IRN training problems.

Hasknight

Dec 7, 2016
Hi. So i got 2 IRN about 2 months ago. In my country its rare to find them trained so i got a younger pair so it would be easy to train them early on. I asked the shopkeeper for the tips and he said that they wont be scared after a month and you can train them to hand feed etc after that. Now about 2.5 months have passed and they are still scared out of their mind.
Ive tried to sitting with them all day. Reading to them. And other stuff recommended on the internet but nothing has worked. Their wings are clipped and they are free to roam in my room (dont mind cleaning it everyday) but they never even move from the cage. And even if im just passing by slowly they get anxious and run behind the curtains or the table. This is my first experience with birds so i dont want to be dissapointed by it. Hope someone can help me out because i have gotten attached to them and would kill me to sell them and get a trained parrot. Thank you. :green2:

ParrotLover7

Dec 19, 2016
Im not an expert but maybe try talking to them in front of the cage and feeding feeding them their favourite food or nut through the bars. Is your bird hand tame?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome! Lots of bird-lovers here to help you out. While you're having a look around, you can take any issue or topic which interests you, use the Search Tab and then read about it. It's a really good engine. I suggest...

ringneck taming
taming frightened parrot
earning a parrot'd trust
etc.

I love the idea of sitting near and just reading or whatever. Gradually move chair closer. Every time you pass by, drop a couple of favorite seeds or treats.

They just need time to desensitive to your nearness.

Maybe also post your questions in the 'behavior' section, too (I forget the exact title).

Good luck.

Most Reactions

Latest posts