Irregular Stool

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
Hello all,

I've posted a couple times about our first and now 2nd budgie. Teerie we have had for about 3-4 months. Yvie we got about a week and a half ago. They both came from the same pet store and the store didn't receive any new shipments in that time(fortunately or unfortunately they don't sell many). Given it was one she was previously housed with I wasn't too concerned about them getting each other sick.

Yvie our newer budgie has been having irregular stools. It's not every stool but it hasn't been consistently regular either. Could this be from the change of diet? Vet is scheduled for after Christmas. Should we see if it can be moved up??

I will copy the diet over from another post. She is also constantly wanting more food. I'm afraid she's too chunky and/or used to having food free choice. They get a chop mixture that is high in moisture content with some dry mixed in and some dry in their cage at night. Is she just over eating the chop and taking in too much water maybe?? Could that cause the runny stool?
PXL_20221202_163823787.jpg
PXL_20221202_162755368.jpg
PXL_20221202_210025750.jpg

OP
S

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
Here is the chop mixture:
Thyme, Sage, Rosemary, Sweet potato, Blueberries, strawberries, bananas, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, sprouts, lentils, quinoa, apples, almond, and beets. The batch is frozen and I thaw out small portions at a time. I also serve it with a something fresh each week/however long it takes to use up the item. Right now that's a carrot and sprouts mixture.
1670372561559.png

The dry mixture is Kaytee Nutrisoft pellet, oatmeal, chia, flax, dried parsley, freeze dried apple, mango, strawberry and banana. The dry is primarily pellet. About 2 full bags of pellets, a cup of oatmeal, 1/2 a cup each of chia and flax, and the freeze dried fruit is about 8 total of the small pouches (unseasoned/nothing added).

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Wet chop is certainly going to make poops wetter. Got some pics of the watery and regular poops, for comparison? Your recipe looks OK, mostly. I lean towards more hot peppers and no fruits (Salty gets small amount of fruit for lunch). Breakfast is 1/2 walnut, 1 or 2 Nutraberries and pellets. Lunch is 5 blueberries or black berries or slices of banana or a teaspoon of corn or few slices of Kiwi or apple. Def not a lot of that.

OP
S

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
Here is some from today and you can see some dried from yesterday. Not horrible but definitely loose.
PXL_20221209_173141541.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I dont think those are excessively watery. The white is the urates, equivalent to our urine, the dark is the actual excrement from food. If I remember my Parrot 101 info right.

Iris227

Jun 1, 2022
Parrots
Mango - male opaline redhead lovebird; Frosty - male opaline blue whiteheaded lovebird; Muffin - wild green budgie; Cookie - lutino budgie
Sometimes my birds don't have watery poop. I think it's mostly normal, unless this happens consistently. With my birds, this happens once in a while and nothing bad has happened to them... It doesn't look that bad to me, tbh.

Most Reactions

Latest posts