Is a bird right for me?

analisemcguire

Jul 23, 2022
Hi! I'm new to this forum. I've always been a bird lover but seeing the birds at the pet store a few weeks ago really got me interested. I've been reading up on lovebirds, but I don't know if they are suitable for me. My main question is, can Lovebirds travel or would that be too stressful? My parents are divorced and I have to take trips between houses about every other week. Are there any birds that would be comfortable with that, or is this something I should wait for?

Also, I definitely put this in the wrong section, sorry!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have taken road trips with my birds and they’ve been fine. I think a lovebird would be ok switching between houses as long as you are there and some things about their life stay the same no matter where they are.

My cockatiel went with me to either parents house when I was in high school and he was ok. Certainly it was better to have him with me than to expect someone else to take care of him. And he was a nice source of stability and comfort for me.

OP
A

analisemcguire

Jul 23, 2022
I have taken road trips with my birds and they’ve been fine. I think a lovebird would be ok switching between houses as long as you are there and some things about their life stay the same no matter where they are.

My cockatiel went with me to either parents house when I was in high school and he was ok. Certainly it was better to have him with me than to expect someone else to take care of him. And he was a nice source of stability and comfort for me.
Thank u!!

Witchhazelharpy

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
Apple and Zippy. R. I. P. Bennie who passed very recently.
Hi! I'm new to this forum. I've always been a bird lover but seeing the birds at the pet store a few weeks ago really got me interested. I've been reading up on lovebirds, but I don't know if they are suitable for me. My main question is, can Lovebirds travel or would that be too stressful? My parents are divorced and I have to take trips between houses about every other week. Are there any birds that would be comfortable with that, or is this something I should wait for?

Also, I definitely put this in the wrong section, sorry!!
Hi! Although it depends on the individual, lovebirds should be okay with travelling. If you do decide to keep a lovebird, try taking them on a few slow rides first to introduce them to the concept and get them used to it. However, you want to watch out for motion sickness which can occur on roadtrips.
While traveling, I'd recommend taking out any hanging toys as they can bang against the cage and stress the bird out (and to prevent injury).
Remember, lovebirds require lots of maintenance and responsibility like any other parrot! (and don't underestimate them for their size, they may be small but they are little chaos potatoes, famous for their territorial nature.) If you are interested in keeping them, I'd recommend thoroughly researching their care. If you have any questions about lovebird care, you can DM me!
Have a good day!

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Not lovebird specific, but I travel with my Parrotlet all the time. We've done multiple coast to coast flights, one coast to coast drive, and I often take her with me when I go visit my sister even just for the day. Totally doable. You do have to make sure everywhere you take them is bird safe though-no cooking in Teflon-style nonstick cookware or other things coated with it (most air fryers, hair dryers, some space heaters, toasters, etc), no candles or scent-things like wax melts, plug-ins, etc. it's kind of a long lost. Parrots are a lifestyle rather than a pet.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I traveled a lot with my Quaker and Pionus. Most notably, I was stuck at a friend’s house sick with norovirus for a week plus. Birds were stuck in their travel carriers, which were modified small animal cages, until I was well enough to drive several more hours. I’m sure the birds didn’t like that but they were fine.

They traveled with me on a few multistate moves and as long as they could see me while in their carriers, they were calm and quiet. I doubt it was fun or stimulating but I didn’t have any choice.

Anyhow my Quaker got carsick traveling on a greyhound bus, but otherwise was not carsick. She said “good bye” to each person as they passed us to get off the bus. Liked quite well when I was a passenger and she was on my lap for four or five hours. I did make sure to cover her when we were on a highway and big trucks were going past because she thought they were scary.

YOU are the home and the focus of attachment for your bird. if you keep some things the same—like diet, favourite toys, cage cover—and if bird gets to stay in a room with YOU I bet it will be ok.

Most Reactions